NAC 62, HiCap, amp

For speakers, maybe consider Rega Ela? That’s what I had back in 1990 with my olive 72/HC/90. I still use a pair of them now on my second system of 82/HC/180. Usually there are one or two pairs available on EBay for not too much.

An interesting project, good luck!

1 Like

Yes, to Rega Ela’s…!! :smile:

I remember that I dem’ed Rega Ela’s and Royd Doublets, vs Linn Kans (which I owned at that point) and chose the Royd’s. This was back in Dec '99… :astonished:

1 Like

I had a 62/HC/140 for a long time into Linn Kans, sounded very good.

1 Like

IBL’s are way more difficult than SBL’s. I have them both and SBL’s sound always good or great, but IBL’s seem to come alive only when active or driven by a NAP250 of bigger.

The story goes that Julian V used IBL’s with low end amps (Nait 3 etc), but I don’t see it.

2 Likes

Almost same here. I had a 110 when I first got Kan’s, which was fine. But once I heard a 250… I bought one. And I still have it… :grin:

Both combinations worked well. And just… because… I am currently using my ‘spare’ 140 with my Royd’s, instead of my 250.

1 Like

My 140 began life as a 110, then changed when it was serviced by Naim to a 140.
Both amps are very good and Ive been looking for a 110 as a standby for when my 200 is serviced, hopefully in the not too distant future.

My 140 was bought pre-loved, as a ‘spare’ - and sort of, as a look back to when I had my 110.
Its the Shoe Box thing…
AFAIK, my 140 was built like that… :thinking: But I know conversion from 110 was an option, back in the day… :grin:

1 Like

SBLs are an interesting call. Not ever heard any but like the design concept behind them. Could make a very nice office system, as the close-to-wall placement would suit the space. Is there an emoji for heading off to look on eBay?

I understand the output devices on the 110 were slightly sonically better than those in the 140, although Ive not compared the two. So a 110 converted to 140 is worth holding on to.

1 Like

I believe the conversion (from 110 to 140) changes the output transistors…
Perhaps @Richard.Dane can confirm, or deny this…… :thinking:

I have a NAP110 as well as a NAP110 that has been “140ed” by the factory - the latter still uses the NA002 output devices.

3 Likes

Thanks, Richard. So, a ‘new build’ 140 (as mine is, AFAIK - it is a 1992 unit) uses different/new output transistors, but a conversion 140 uses/retains the 110’s transistors…?

1 Like

The NAP110 started out in '79 with BDY56 transistors. In '82 it was updated with Naim’s own custom-made NA002s.

The NAP140 started out in '86 with Sanken 2SC2922 transistors. In '90 it was updated with Naim’s own custom-made NA001s.

4 Likes

Interesting info. I’ve just checked mine so it looks like I’ve got an early 140 (it’s a CB, 1987) as it’s got the Sankens so did the change come later with the Olive version ?

2 Likes

Yup, in 1990.

2 Likes

Cheers Richard.

Im fairly sure its correct,
If I post a link to something politically incorrect on The Daily Mash, it might draw his attention! :grinning: :cat2:
Oops, seems like he’s on to it already.

Thank you to clarifying this Richard. They both sound wonderful to me.

2 Likes

Yes, thats right - I think its the voltage regulator that gets changed

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.