NAC 72 or Hi Cap

Having moved from a XS to a Olive 62/180 recently the wife’s given the go ahead for another upgrade. But the question is which to go for. Ultimately I want to end up with 72/hicap/250. Source is mainly vinyl LP12 lingo one Akita 2b and DV10x5.

I’d go for a hicap in perfect condition. I’d buy an old one for about GBP 300 and give it a service for about GBP 200 at Class A. This will give you good service regardless what you do next.

3 Likes

Yup. HiCap… :smile:

But… don’t forget to have the 62 & 180 serviced… :thinking:

1 Like

If the 62 is in good fettle I’m not sure I’d be too intent on getting a 72. Given that you need the Hicap to be able to run the 250 eventually it seems like the obvious move now.

2 Likes

62 was serviced 5 years ago by previous owner. 180 not sure of service history.

1 Like

OK, so the 62 is good-to-go…!! Perhaps try to check the service history of the 180…? Ask Naim and Class A, if they have seen it at all…??

The choice comes down to opportunity, usually plenty of pre-owned hi-caps around so can buy one anytime, but finding a good unadulterated nac72 will be harder.

If a good clean 72 buying opportunity presents itself then bag it while you can.

Also, would be a good exercise to hold both 62 and 72 for comparison, so you pays your money and makes your choice…

5 Likes

I take it the later CD version is the one to look out for rather then the two sets of BNCs.

An unadulterated but flowerpotterated Nac 72 and its companion nap 140.

10 Likes

Both early version and CD version sound equally as good, i have one of each, the early version i have used with internal phono boards on one set of BNCs and on the other set are RCA leads to a Yamaha tuner, the CD5x CD player input is on the tuner DIN input. This all works very well.

4 Likes

The later ‘CD’ version is slightly less of a faff, for connections.
But both are very good… as @Debs asserts… :sunglasses:

3 Likes

This was my thought also…

3 Likes

Indeed so - @TimOopNorth . In the OP’s position, I would be looking, actively, for 72’s, HiCap’s and 250’s - and see what comes up…

Very difficult to loose money on ‘classic’ Naim gear, IMO… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m still waiting for Naim to release a streamer / dac card for the Nac 72.

5 Likes

You still got those Sabbath albums I sent you a few years back :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

:metal:

All day long I think of things
But nothing seems to satisfy
Think I’ll lose my mind
If I don’t find something to pacify

Can you help me occupy my brain?
Oh yeah!

I need something to show me
The things in life that I can’t find
I can hear the nac 72 that makes musical happiness
And a warm hi-cap won’t be far behind

6 Likes

I’ve managed to do it… But only by having them serviced and then selling within a year of service once I’ve changed my mind.

If I was planning to end up with a 72/HiCap/250 I’d be a little reluctant to spend money on servicing the 62/160 if I was expecting to trade them in the next year or two.

2 Likes

In agreement here. The OP already said the 62 has a recent service. Its only the 180 which is in doubt.

Quick call to Naim and Darren at class A neither have serviced the 180 so that’s due sooner rather then later.

8 to 10 years is the Naim service recommendation, for Olive kit. More important to re-cap a NAP or a PS, than a Pre - generally…

2 Likes