NAC 72 or Hi Cap

Darren recommended to open it up and check inside for any dates. It will probably go to him early in the new year along with the lingo. One of the reasons I’ve not sold the XS yet.

According to the Naim Product History - https://www.naimaudio.com/product-history - the 180 was replaced in 2002 by the ‘new’ 200.

You might also ‘date’ in here - Naim Serial Numbers - https://www.naimaudio.com/serial-numbers.

Feb 1993 according to naim. Will have to check on the 62.

Though the 62 was known to have been serviced…?

I loved the 72/HC/250 combo and used it for years. You won’t be disappointed. Try to get recently serviced units if possible.

1 Like

Was talking about age :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Got a NAC 72 on its way. Should be here by the weekend :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Cool… :sunglasses:

Had the 72 powered up for a week now but hadn’t had time for a good listen until yesterday. Definitely a good step up from the 62. So the plan now is to get the 72 and 180 to Darren in the new year. Once serviced the Hi Cap may have to wait until the LP12 is fettled by Peter. Selling the 62 Nait XS and Stageline should give funds for that.

4 Likes

A sound plan, you have there… :laughing:

Having Darran Class A and Peter Cymbiosis on your team, you can hardly go wrong. Both have contributed in their own way, to my system - Class A most recently.

4 Likes

@IanRobertM what cards are you using for the phono stage with your 10x5

I’ve just got my 72/hi cap/140 running again and using the DVD5 on it to plays cd’s (won’t play DVD’s anymore) and it sounds excellent.

1 Like

I have always used built in Naim MM boards - I am a long term 10X user - the only ones I have not used are the 10X3 and the current 10X5. I have a a 10X4 currently. A 10X5 would likely be my go to choice, right now - should a decide to swap out.

When I had shoebox preamps, I had 322 N boards. With full width pre’s, I have 522 N’s.
Simples… :laughing:

I have read recently about running 10X’s into the E boards (also sometimes called R), but have no experience of this combo myself. I am very used to the 10X/N board combo, after about 30 years of use (OK, there were a couple of Linn MC’s in there, for a bit… lols.) I would also guess that N boards are a lot easier to get hold of, than E’s.

I see that the Stageline can still be had in N, S, K & E versions…

Stageline is N and N boards in the 72. I remember reading some where @Cymbiosis mentioned that the S version is ok with the 10x5 as long as a Hicap is powering the pre. Can’t find any mention of whether the E boards would work without a Hicap.

I thought that Peter S was recommending E boards…? Not sure. Should I be visiting Cymbiosis (which is on the cards - fingers crossed), I will try to remember to ask…

HiCap or not, makes no difference to the gain. Any Olive or CB pre can power any matching Phono board, on their own.

I have checked with Peter S @Cymbiosis and I was mistaken, regarding the use or recommendation of E boards. Apologies for any confusion… :upside_down_face:

But - the use of S boards, exactly as @SteveC described above - is correct. That is what Peter uses for demonstrations, at Cymbiosis.

2 Likes

That saved me a call tomorrow :joy::joy:

1 Like

I have had a further email from Peter S, confirming that N boards are the way to go, with a 10X.
Which is good to know, as I have been doing so since… 1982… :astonished:

Not boards Ian, as that implies internal boards.
I can use a Stageline S with the 10X5, provided I use a good power supply feeding a full 24V into the Stageline. Normally in demos I’m using the feed from a 552 when checking the LP12s and Regas I am setting up here. I get excellent results. But if you were trying a 10X5 with say an 82 and 180 then you must use N or E boards IMHO. - Just my preference and due to the quality of the power feed I am using here in the demo room when testing everything for clients.
I hope this explains/clarifies.

KR, Peter

That’s good to know that E boards will work. I assume they would work with the 72 without a Hicap