Nac A5 to TQ Ultra Black II?

I was in my dealer’s shop and had a demo of Nac A5 VS Tellurium Q Ultra Black II. It was a quick demo, and I would want to hear it again for longer, but the TQ did sound easily better than the Nac A5.

It is a bit pricey though… I was wondering if anyone else has heard, or is using the TQ Ultra Black II speaker cable? Your thoughts and opinions please?

2 Likes

@bongoman use them.

It destroyed my sound when I tried it, not a patch on Naca5… No idea what made it sound dreadful in my system when others have success.
Gary

1 Like

The only way to make these choices that works for me is to get an extended home demo. Then go back to NACA5 for a day or two and see how it sounds.

Anything which impresses quickly is dirty a second listen as only long term listening aids good decision making. I had a loan of the Tellerium some time back when minding a Devialet for someone. Initial impressions were that it was less dry and more detailed. After a month the only conclusion was that I wanted my PRaT back.

I’ve been using TQ Ultra Black II and jumpers on my system for over a year now. It’s a phenomenal cable and far superior to Superlumina IMO. SL speaker cable was dull and flat by comparison.

5 Likes

In my view, it’s usually speaker dependent apart from personal preference coming in 2nd place. My supposition (which can be entirely unreliable) is due to NACA5’s warmer house sound and pronounced mid bass coupled by a slight reduction in resolution and detail, it will fit detailed and lean sounding speakers more than warmer, fatter or lusher sounding speakers. By putting a more detailed speaker cable onto an equally detailed/lean sounding speaker, the cable may be exposing too much of a good thing…

I found tellurium q black to easily improve on naca 5 as did other cables I tried from different suppliers. I have a full loom of tq and the only issue I’ve ever had is that it takes ages to burn in

5 Likes

That’s fair as I had PMC fact 8’s at the time of trying.
Gary

I agree. I also use TQB din-din between NDX2:XPSDR & 282:HCDR and rate it above HiLine.

G

3 Likes

I use TQ UB to great effect. I went from NACA5 to Chord Signature then back to NACA5 then to the TQ. Way better than both and it’s not moved since.
Steve O

1 Like

Happy TQB user here. For speaker wire. Haven’t felt like I need to spring for TQB2…yet.

1 Like

I went back to the dealer and had a good listen to the TQ UB II today. It is definitely better than Nac A5. It’s clearer and better defined. It also does Prat just as well. I ordered a pair.

5 Likes

Much better to my ears; I had both for several months and would often switch and compare. Everyone I did this with - friends, family - favoured the TQ.

1 Like

I have just looked at the price of the TQ UB cable and at £310 per metre I would expect it to be significantly better than NAC A5.

2 Likes

Apologies, I was referring to Tellurium Q Black I, not the ultra.

That’s good to hear. May I ask what amps are you using in your system?

The Supernait 2.

1 Like

I have tellurium blue and am thinking of upgrading to naca5 when I change my speakers. Oh to be in a world where naim cable is not good enough

1 Like

IMO a ‘proper’ upgrade would be going for TQ Ultra Black II and bypassing naca5 altogether :wink:

2 Likes