Nac A5 to TQ Ultra Black II?

Kudos announced it on their www 21st Feb
It’s called KS-1 & they say …
It’s “the result of the KISS principle of design: the right materials, well executed win over fancy marketing related engineering every time.
KS-1’s conductors are 19 strands of silver-plated Oxygen-Free Copper (OFC) insulated with Fluorinated Ethylene Propylene (FEP) run with a slow twist and all surround by a hard PVC outer for protection. physical damping and simplicity of use.”

No other specs are included, no indication what size the cable is in mm/2, etc. so no chance of L & C
It looks remarkably similar to Chord Odyssey in appearance.
Coincidentally Odyssey is also 19 strand silver-plated oxygen free copper…

1 Like

Will likely try TQ Black 2 after the MA300s arrive. I heard the original Black vs NACA5 and liked it - seemed deeper and smoother and matched the NACA5 in communication (PRaT).

As a TQB v. 1 owner, I wonder what my upgrade path should be: TQB v. 2, Ultra Black, or NACA5. What is the price of NACA5 va. TQUB?

When I was auditioning speaker cables and RCA/XLR interconnect cables quite a few years ago, I was disappointed to hear that in my system least, the TQ UB cables sounded significantly better than the much cheaper TQ B which in turn sounded much better than what I was using at the time.

I haven’t heard the new generation of TQ cables, and have no plans to upgrade to them, but I have heard anecdotally that the TQ B2 cables are pretty much on a par with the old TQ UB. I have no idea if this is really the case or not.

However, when I was initially considering TQ cables, TQ dealers had a policy of lending cables to prospective purchasers for home testing. From memory, I was able to demo TQ UB and B XLR interconnects and speaker cables at home in my own system for a period of at least a week in order to make up my mind. Whilst the Blacks initially sounded very ‘good’, I ended up keeping the Ultra Blacks and returning the Blacks. I didn’t dare ask for a demonstration of any of their more expensive cables.

Worthwhile checking to see if you can still arrange a home demo of the range of TQ cables from a local dealer.

Naca5 is £35 per mono metre, the TQ UB2 is just over £300 per mono metre…quite a difference. Beware some sites have small print at the very bottom of the page advising to enter 2 lengths, otherwise the price looks more reasonable, but you end up with only one speaker cable…just saying, almost caught me out.

1 Like

Well from my experience of TQ UB II which has been happily entrenched in my system for nearly a year. I just love it, personally I think it’s a phenomenal cable and made just 15 miles from where I live

That’s the same price as Super Lumina, so that’s the fair comparator, I’d have thought.

2 Likes

Yep and thats what i am testing at home at the moment Nigel, and the full loom thing does seem to work…even though i wish it did not😬

You need to remember that you’re a nobody without a Naim full loom. Even I’ve got one.

2 Likes

Here in Canada, the TQ UB II is a little more than half the price of Super Lumina. Much less.

Slightly off topic - I use a ‘part loom’ of TQB speaker cable and (replacing a HiLine) the TQB din-din between NDX2/XPS2 & 282/HCDR. Both work very well indeed. Imho.

G

You’ll come round!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.