NAC-N 272 any good?

As HH says except that the last year or so’s production have a different display component as the previous one was no longer available. The new display needed a firmware patch (otherwise the display would have been upside down), but this was rolled into the last one or two firmware releases.

But I am not aware that there is any reason to look for one or the other version.

Best

David

Thanks again guys for the swift replies!

1 Like

My first step back into Naimland was with my second system: NAC 272 NAP 200 and an HDX. Great system- I got the upgrade bug and got the 250 DR which made a huge improvement.

I have no plans to change anything- very happy with it.

2 Likes

In that case, it’s probably best not to try a 555PSDR in your system…

The thing is I just bought an NDX 2 for my my main LP system which is a 552 DR and 300 DR… if I am going to get a power supply I think I know which system will get it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, clearly the 272.

Because the 555Dr demands to be made best use of, i.e. powering the preamp of the 272 as well as its streamer/dac.

Whereas on your other system you’d need two different power supplies - one on the steamer/dac and another on the preamp. That would be an inefficient use of resources!

The 552 has it’s own power supply… If I did get an power supply it would be for the NDX 2.

I could upgrade my second system, but I think most music lovers want to get the best from the system they listen to the most. I am waiting for a Japanese cartridge for my vinyl system.

Not looking forward to the setup, but the sound… 2 days to go!

Thanks for explaining that to me.
In 40 years of hifi I had never thought of that!

For the sake of clarity, my suggestion above that you’d want to buy a PSU for your particular 272 first was meant to be read in a jocular idiom.

But the substantial point that I then made - that the PSU on a 272 does much more than merely improve the performance of the streamer and DAC - was not really aimed at you - it was intended to help the OP and any other interested readers to see why putting a PSU on a 272 is much more effective and efficient than putting one on a Naim box that is only a streamer/DAC (such as your NDX2).

geddit? (as they say in Private Eye)

1 Like

I have a Uniti2 and a NAP200 with Neat Motive SE’s and am thinking about upgrading to a NAC-N 272 and adding a CD5si to play my cd’s. Is this a useful improvement?
Martin

Yes, the 272 would sound a lot better than the Uniti. But ask yourself if you really need a CD player. Why not rip them to a nas? That would sound better than using a CD5si.

2 Likes

I went from Uniti2 to 272/250 and it was a very nice upgrade.

What HH says. I would use the funds saved from the CD5si to put towards an XPSDR or Music.

1 Like

I took the plunge and wait for delivery of the NAC-N 272 and NAP 200 (non DR) next week … :smiley:

9 Likes

Great stuff.

Enjoy, you won’t regret it. :+1:

That’s the spirit!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.