Nac n-272/nap 250dr vs ndx2/sn3

Your patience might be rewarded, sooner than you think :blush: imho.

1 Like

Close, but no cigar.

1 Like

I have the 272/XPS DR/NAP250DR and would rate it very highly.

However, as others have said, the 272 is now getting long in the tooth and the streaming platform has now been superseded.

If you simply cannot wait, then a decision made with the head would suggest the NDX2/SN3, otherwise I would tend to the wait and see argument.

Also worth considering HH’s suggestion of using a NAS instead of the Core as storage/server or the Innuos Zen Mini if you prefer the simplicity of a combined ripper/server.

However, a home demo with your speakers is to be highly recommended, otherwise you don’t really know if you like how it actually sounds……

KR, J

1 Like

Alternatively………Close, but not touching. :blush:

1 Like

I still own the 272 and have had it naked, with XPSDR and today with 555PSDR and a 300DR + a Lumin U1 mini to improve on the streamer. Great setup IMO.

4 Likes

To be honest, I am coming to the view that a NAC-N272 plus a PSU plus a NAP250 (DR) and a decent pair of, not necessarily large, speakers is a 3-box combo that is really very, very hard to improve on.

Of course there’s the new streaming platform, higher performance amps and I’m sure there’ll be more plus numerous user tweaks but aside from these ‘bells and whistles’ the core performance remains formidable and will be so for years to come.

If there’s to be a 272 replacement, it’s certain to be a tempting ‘upgrade’ to the above 3-box configuration, assuming like-for-like hardware, i.e. psu compatibility etc., but if not and at a significant price hike, personally I might well resist the temptation……

Just thinking aloud….

KR,J

2 Likes

And You are right… Especially for my 25 square meters room with Harbeth shl5 plus this system should be fine. Additionally my last “blind” test when I compared N-272 / NAP 250dr with NDX2 / SN3 confirmed superior of first system. Any way once again thank You!!!

1 Like

Out of all 4 components there is one that’s discontinued, how about a new 282 with a discontinued SN2? Regardless of redundancy. It is the cheapest of all 3 combos and arguably the best. My SN2 is now begging for a better preamp. No need for a psu either. Things kept way simple.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.