Nac252 + nap500

Exactly what I’m doing. 2 steps starting for SN2 to arrive to 552/500 progressively.

Ok guys, reading your comments, I’m more and more thinking of waiting for a good opportunity for a used 552.
I was only tempted by the excellent price of the used 252 + SCDR that I found

3 Likes

FWIW PPT, I think that is the smarter decision.

Not sure where you are based, but there is a dealer in the South of England who occasionally take in 552s in part-ex against Vitus gear. Hunt these guys down!

Again, those opportunities are a bit rare. You’re in the UK? You might even reach out to a few dealers and have them look out for you. I imagine that there might even be others ahead of you on the list however.

That said, there has been a used 552 on the Tom Tom website for a little while now.

There is currently one on a well known auction site for less than £6251
It says collection in person which is always a good sign it’s a genuine sale
I’ve not looked at the details but it’s safe to assume it will need a service, even so I would bet a 552 in need of service would knock a 252DR for 6
And to service and DR a 552 isn’t too severe unlike the 500
That makes a newly serviced 552 DR for under 8.5k, that’s less than paid for mine and I thought I had a good deal

Do that and that’s the preamp done, no wondering what could have been and the S1 is so very far away us mere mortals don’t need to concern ourselves

Lyndon

2 Likes

Which begs the question why one would not immediately go to Virus.

Blimey!

2 Likes

Aaargh. I’m even incapable to play the Devil’s advocate.

1 Like

Ardbeg10y

Vitus isn’t for everyone
Over the last few years I’ve bought / tried to buy a lot of 500 series and SCapDRs
My experience of those who moved to Vitus were not long term Naim owners
Where as the 2 552s I attempted to buy and the one I bought, all 3 moved to Statement and had all checked out the Vitus Masterpiece preamp and all 3 had gone from 32 (32.5 & 72) to 52 to 552 to S1

Lyndon

2 Likes

But….as you infer there must be a reason why some Naimees sell up and defect to Vitus. I believe their big old integrated must be an attraction when downsizing or wanting to reduce box count.

1 Like

Nigel

Agreed, from what I’m led to believe the Vitus integrated amps are exceptional and provides a pathway to go from say 552/300 to just the one box
But for us active folk the box count is much less of consideration, I have 13 black boxes to make my record player work !
Couple that with DBLs, these are 10 out of 10 for sound but looks are not their strong point
Although mine are naked, the Velcro had been professionally removed so at least they look industrial if I’m to flatter them

Lyndon

3 Likes

Hi,
All the advice and comments regarding your situation are spot on. Only just a couple of months ago I was in the same frame of mind as yourself right now. I had a 300DR and 252 SCDR and was really pleased with the equipment until I traded my 300DR for a 500DR, the reason for this was my speakers (B&W 802D) they are power hungry, I was contented with the match as the power amp was more than capable however as already commented I could not help but think of what if I were using a 552, a shame really as it kind of spoiled the listening experience of an already excellent system and I knew I would never be content. Luckily I jumped on the chance of an ex demo 2018 552DR at a great cost of course, it is a fantastic experience having the system I currently own but hey I really do know how you feel.
Without doubt you are doing the right thing the difference in SQ with the 252SCDR and 500 will be breath taking from your SN2. Im sure you will eventually land a 552 in time.
Hope my experience helps enforce your judgement…
Neil

2 Likes

Thanks Neil, that’s exactly what I feel.
I know myself and I know that once bought the 252 I would for sure start thinking about how to get a 552.
That’s why I decided not to buy the 252 anymore and to wait for a good opportunity for a 552.
Best
PPT

Well with what i have experienced the last few days, the 552 and 500dr is a great combination that just does music very very well. Wait and go for it is what i say.
My system has never been even close to sounding this good and i did at one point think my active S600 did sound mighty good, but i found out it didnt lol. Must also say PMC fact 12’s work very well in this company

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.