NAC272 + NAP200 + PMC Twenty 23 what next?

A non DR 555 goes for similar money to an XPSDR

That would be an interesting comparison

1 Like

Spotted a NAP200 DR, real bargain. Is that an option? Does the DR upgrade fix the issue with the 200? 250 DR nameplate is 80 watts vs 200 70 watts - which is nothing in practice…

Thx for pointer to origin live. Flat belts made to size 35 quid, perfect!

1 Like

DR upgrade on 200 only applied to pre-amp power supply; which is not needed for the 272. Therefore no additional benefit to you in this case.

3 Likes

I went from NAP200 to NAP250DR.
The improvement for me was not big. But I have got another pre amp.

1 Like

Thx SW. thought it was too good to be true …

I recall the 272 and 250DR sounding quite good on their own. I could’ve stayed with them for a while had I needed to. As chance would have it a very good deal on a newish/low hour 555 popped up and I snagged it. Big jump in all the good places.

1 Like

A 555PSDR with the 272 and 250DR will be a superb set up. The 555PSDR will really improve the preamp section of the 272 and help with streaming as well. Failing that an XPSDR or even XPS2 will make a significant improvement depending on budget. The 555PSDR can also be used with an NDS or NDX2 or ND555 if you wanted to upgrade from the 272 to a 282 or 252. So maybe the upgrade to go for first is the 555PSDR.

A 272 250DR system will also sound very good. Any of these upgrades will provide a big lift in performance. It depends on budget and possibly longer term goals.

With Naim power supplies are a fundamental part of upgrades and can give you a real Wow factor.

Good luck with your upgrade @Chestermana :+1:

2 Likes

If on a budget an XPS2 and 250 Olive or Chrome Bumper could be the answer. I have had both and have an XPS2 on my CDS2. Sometimes compromises are necessary. But they will be good compromises. A CB250 beats a 200. Look at getting them serviced at Class A Audio (authorised but cheaper Naim service agent) and you’ll be good to go.

I have a mixture of Olive. Chrome Bumper and Classic in my set up and it all works well together. So no worries about different boxes. And with new classic now I think Naimees should celebrate in the different boxes in one system.

1 Like

A 555 will leave an XPS in the pits. Motoring pun :joy:

Buy used. 555PS used can be picked up for XPSDR prices. A 555PS non DR will outperform an XPSDR.

2 Likes

I had a 202/HiCap with a 200, and then changed the 202/HiCap to a 272. That was a sideways step but it added more functionality, headphone output, streaming and DAC. I added the XPS-DR to the 272 and that brought the instruments and vocalists into definite positions between the speakers and added depth to the sound. It was a genuine improvement over the 202 for me. As the 272 is a streamer, it felt like a “put the source first” upgrade. The 555ps doesn’t come up very often on the second hand market. Ex-demo 555ps seem to be around £7k. I haven’t snagged one yet. So, it is a +1 for the XPS.

1 Like

Pink site - did I see £3750 for a 555dr recently?

1 Like

Malfordlad :+1: I was also thinking start by getting the source as clean as possible.
I am listening to the 555 crew. I checked for used, nothing under 7k except a combined deal with a streamer, but 8:years old. £4k may be possible but only for old kit. 8.5k new. We have Covid & inflation to thank for that. XPS DR start around 2k, with up to 3k for 1-2 yo. I’m not shelling out £7k and whatever is likely to follow down the track. It’d be the price of a new EV - except they also went daft with Covid & inflation ….

1 Like

Sorry Dan, hadn’t considered a non DR 555 but was looking for something newer not needing imminent servicing capacitors etc. XPS DR fits the bill, I guess I must be a cheapskate. Ot maybe not. 2 - 3 grand on a power supply upgrade for a system that already sounds superb. My pals will think I’m barking …

1 Like

I think maybe get the XPSDR and see how you get on then.

An XPS2 is very good too. I have had two. One powering a CDS3 and another now powering my CDS2.

Like I said an XPS2 with 250 Olive or CB may well be all you need right now. You’ll be surprised how good it will sound!

I sold a three year old 555DR for £4,000 a couple of years ago. You can find them for that sort of figure.

2 Likes

I got my < 2 year old low hour 555DR for less than 50% of retail secondhand here in the states. I’d get a 250DR and kick back and wait for a good 555DR deal.

1 Like

Just because a 555PS DR isn’t available now doesn’t mean it wont come up. They do come up fairly regularly on the auction sites. Be patient if this is what you want. I may get one for my CDS2 or I can use it as 2nd power supply on NDS ! Yes, the NDS can be powered by 2 555 PSDRs!

And I know you can buy the NDS for £2k but it is the power supply that makes it work.

About the same as the one currently advertised….

1 Like