Nac282 doing « reboot »

Had the same long time ago, but now doing it more often

Symptom :
Sometime during the day my NAC 282 have light coming on (usually set off) .
This happen today during my listening session. Music stops and Nac goes on mute mode with light on…the. After xx second music is coming back and lights stays on

ps : Same setup since years .

And idea ?

Thx in advance

One for @NeilS I think…

Hi HFF,

Sounds like either something is momentarily interrupting one of the power supplies, or the control side of the 282 has a hardware fault & is as you say rebooting.
If the unit is “forgetting” your settings, this would point to a hardware problem. If you set an input to RCA input or unity gain, does the unit retain these settings after this happens?

Regards
Neil.

Dear Neil

I have a Rega RP10 and an NDX connected to my Nac 282 and all setting a still the same after the reboot than in was before.
During the reboot only light from NAC are turning on (that was not the initial setup…set off)

Hope clarifies

Could you try something? Switch off your power amp(s)*, set the 282 display to off, then unplug the PSC & plug it back in. Does the 282 display then revert back to the off state after the mute period?

*should have said wait a minute for them to discharge.

Regards
Neil.

Dear Neil

Have

1. turned Nac282 display off
  2. unplugged my NAP 250
  3. unplugged the “power” (PSC) of the Nac282.

When PSC plugged again and after the mute period (light on) the Nac282 is back with the setting that was set before (light off)

Ok, thanks for performing that test. Unfortunately it does sound like you have a hardware issue.

The only other thing that may be influencing it could be some odd IR interference. So you could try blocking the logo with some thick card for a while & see if that makes any difference?

Regards
Neil.

Dear Neil.

Will do it and will wait few days to report the result back to you.

Question : could any unexpected input signal

1. from superline, supercap…)
    or frequencies on power supply
  2. fridge, elevator,…
    generate this kind of reboot

Asking about 2) because as far as I can remember this “issue” came just after my move in a new flat (old one)

Thx a lot for your support

Philippe

I suppose that environmental conditions could play a part, but it certainly isn’t a common problem.

When the 282 does this, does it revert to CD input, or does it remain on the selected one?

Could you repeat the experiment, but this time switch the supercap off and back on again?

Regards
Neil.

Dear Neil

Have

TEST 1:

2. unplugged my SUPERCAP (keeping both NAC250 and Hicap powered On)

When PSC plugged again and after the mute period (light on) the Nac282 is back with the setting that was set before (light off) on same source “aux2” as selected before

TEST 2)

2. unplugged my SUPERCAP + NAC250 (keeping Hicap powered On)

When PSC plugged again and after the mute period (light on) the Nac282 is back with the setting that was set before (light off) same source “aux2” as selected before

IF REBOOT :
When reboot is happening the source is the same as the one selected before the reboot (eg Aux2 when listening Vinyl)

TEST 3 :
Perhaps a stupid question but could this be caused by the Hicap ?
If

1. Hicap unplugged
  2. PSC unplugged
  3. Hicap plugged back
  4. PSC plugged back

When PSC plugged again and after the mute period (light on) the Nac282 is back but still LIGHT ON ( source input as “aux2”, as selected before ) => CORRECTION : Light back to OFF , but need lot more time than for Test 1 and Test 2

If it weren’t for the 282 not reverting to display off after this happens, I would say something is interrupting one of the power supplies. That’s the weird part!

I’d keep monitoring it for a while, try masking the remote sensor (logo), you could also try running the 282 with nothing but its power supplies & everything else disconnected and see if it happens again.

Regards
Neil.

Okk , will first test the logo approach (I can keep listening music this way :wink: ) then if still the same, I will turn off all sources for the second test

Thx again Neil for your very strong support so far and have a nice we

My 282 does this whenever I place my hand fully on the top of the unit if playing, which I did to retrieve my Staffordshire Terrier’s toy once. I goes back to functioning after a minute. I always figured it was the static. I’ve ‘tested’ it a couple of times and you can guarantee - if I place my hand on the box it’ll go into mute.

Dear Neil

Logo/IR test done but reboot happen twice :frowning: so not successful

Will test unplugging all source during the long we we have in Switzerland.

Keep you posted on Monday

Philippe

1 Like

Small point. Do check the power cable into the 282 power supply (HiCap) is fully inserted.

Hi Cdboy

Thx for your advise, and check done , but as tested before, lack of Hicap is not generating the same result when it plugged back in (see post above)

Philippe

Hi. To be clear I am talking about the power cable in to the HiCap not the connection to the 282. You may just be losing power to your HiCap.

It’s a possibility; do you have a Powerline connected to the Hicap?

@cdboy : Yes, noted but during my Hicap test (when Power cord plugged back) the NAC282 “led” were back to “OFF” after some minute .

So the fact that the NAC is rebooting with all “led” “ON” is for me, not caused by the Hicap.

Thx anyway for your support

@Richard.dane : yes, I have a Powerline on my Hicap and another one on my NAP250.2

I’ve plugged it strongly and when moving it slightly nothing happen.So it’s plugged as strong as expected .
In addit, seams that having Hicap turned off and back on is not rebooting the NAC282 the same way and not causing NAC282 led going back to “ON “.
During my this test NAC 282 Led were back to “OFF” after several minute .

Thx for your support

1 Like