NAC282 output questions

I’m trying to integrate a 282 with the rest of my system, and can’t for the life of me figure out the options available from the manual. Would anyone be able to help me with the following?

1. Currently the 282 is connected to my 300DR. I’d also like to be able to connect it to my tube amps. Should I do this via the aux output on the 282, or the aux output on the HiCap?

2. Can anyone tell me what the AV output socket is for? I understand the AV input is used to pass through an external AV source (applying unity gain), but what does this socket do if connected as an output? Does this simply pass through the selected source with unity gain and disable the volume control?

Many thanks in advance!

If you wish to connect to a different amp then you should still use the DIN4 signal outs on the HICAP you currently have powering your NAC282. You may need custom interconnects to do this. Just be sure not to be connected to both the NAP300DR and the tube amps at the same time.

The AV input is essentially an in/out “tape loop”. You can configure this for Unity gain which allows you to connect an AV processor which then bypasses the pre-amp volume control so you can use the Naim 2 channel pre/power and speakers as part of a multichannel system. The output is useful here as it allows you loop anything attached to the NAC282 back into the processor for processing - such as PLII pseudo surround on your 2 channel sources. You’ll need a suitable interconnect though - the Naim AV2 processor came with one as standard (yellow band).

Thanks so much for the response. Regarding the first point, can both amps be connected to the HICAP as long as they are not both on at the same time?

I wouldn’t do that as it will likely lower performance. I would connect and disconnect as required - remember never to connect or disconnect with the power amp switched on though!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.