Nac282 with 2 x Mono Amps?

I have a Nac-282 which is around seven years old, and has not been used for a couple of years.

I have used the pre-amp with 2 x HiCaps running Nap-250s.

But I also have two Chord SPA-612 mono amps. These are very old, but have been completely refurbished by Chord at the factory.

I wonder what configuration would be best so as to drive these from the Nac-282 via two HiCaps?

Looking at my ‘Connections’ guide, it looks like this would ask the Nac-282 to feed 2 x PS + 2 x amps + NAPSC. Is this correct?

Or do I need a SuperCap?

Skyebridge

You need to take the signals (to the power amps) from the No.1 HiCap, if you have 2 of them.

Follow the Naim instructions for 135’s.

Thanks Ian.
Hugh

1 Like

None of my copies of the Naim Connections guide are old enough… :astonished:

Might be easiest to configure your 282 with just one HiCap as a trial… :thinking:

1 Like

Ian,

So, just to be clear, the Nac-282 would not allow me to run 2xHiCaps from the 5-pin Dins AND 2xMonoAmps from the 4-pin Dins + Napsc?

Hugh

1 Like

No, it would - BUT the signals need to come (AFAIK) from the No.1 HiCap - using 4 pin DIN leads to whatever plugs the Chords need.

The NAPSC has no effect, on this - but the 282 needs it to work.

You could run 282/NAPSC/HC/HC or just 282/NAPS/HC.
(with the No.2 HiCap socket with its Link plug)

(Without a Naim power amp with a Pre-amp supply, you have to have a HiCap.)

PS. I own an 82 and run 2 HC’s into a 250… :expressionless:

OK, I’ll try this and report.

Yes, the Nac-82 is a wonderful pre-amp with 2xHiCaps. It’s difficult at this distance in time to compare it with the Nac-282, since I went via some Nac-52 episodes before downsizing to a Nac-72, improved with various non-Naim boards, and then back to the current pre-amp.

I would say, though, that the rebuilt Chord monos are altogether in a different league for soundstage and detail, particularly on vinyl and analogue FM.

Hugh

This may or maynot help.
I run a 282 with 2 hicaps. And i use a non maim power amp, fed via a din to RCAs cable. I could easily feed a pair of mono powers amps. Arguably I do, as my MF Nu Vista 300 power amp claim to be 2 monos in the same box.

What @IanRobertM says. The connection of HC1 connected to link1 of the 282 carries both power AND signal. HC2 connected to link2 of the 282 only power. So you need output 2 & 3 of HC1 connect to the 2 power amps. That’s how I had my 282 configured to my NAP300,which is basically also 2 mono amps in 1 box.
See also the Naim connection guide.

1 Like

Problem is that recent Connections Guide don’t seem to show whats needed.
Best I could find is for a 252 connecting to a 300, via a SuperCap (taken from Rev2C):

So change the 252 for the 282, the SC for a HC and the 300 for the OP’s monoblocks.
Ignore the 300PS.

Easy…!!!

Thanks to Roberto and Pete,

I can now set up my Chord amps, and will report back.

Can anyone explain how the two 4-pin Dins on the NAC-282 function in this scenario?

I’m not sure that the Chord mono amps require a preliminary Power Supply independently of the Mono Amps.

Hugh

Here is the back of the 282. Where do you mean @Skyebridge ??

The HC’s go in Upgrade 1 and Upgrade 2. Ignore everything else.

Take the outputs for HC Upgrade 1.

Naim make, or at least made and presumably still can, a separate DIN to RCA lead for each channel, I have a pair that I used to use with my Rega power amp. Mine were ex demo from Audio T but I forget which branch, not Reading as I’d have remembered if it was my local.

1 Like

Just take the example of 282/2×HC/250. Now replace 250 by 300. You just need an extra connection from HC1 to the 300. You can pick any 2 of the 3 available outputs for that. And think of the 300 as 2×Chords. Or any 2 monoblocks.

1 Like

OK, all, thanks for your wonderful replies.

The Chords take XLR leads. I have a pair of R + L procured for use with Naim amps.

Hugh

So no posts at all from Skyebridge for the next 48 hours or so now! Otherwise not enjoying the music enough.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.