NAC52 inputs and Superlumina IC

It seems almost impossible to use the Superlumina signal interconnect on a fraim on a NAC52 pre-amp – i guess the SL cables were probably no designed for legacy pre-amps? Basically what happens is that the back upright of the fraim fouls the head of the IC (would probably damage it, i fear…)

I seem to recall that someone had a ‘solution’ to this which involved drilling a hole into the back upright so that the cable goes through this (with appropriate microphony precautions) – but i cant find this. Anyone recall this and can run through how one might achieve this. Because of this issue, i am now using a lavender IC (still an issue but less so).

Many thanks…

/ken

You could always put the 52 on the top shelf to overcome this problem? The other solution I’ve seen mentioned is to remove the back aluminium, support leg and just use the threaded screw insert?

I dont know the exact position of the cable, but i had to over come a similar problem with a melco, i tried a few different ways, from removing the box section and using the bolt still, but i replaced the box section with 28mm copper pipe that just fits over the fraim parts, this works.
But i also just swapped the rear box section for the smaller front box section, as i have spare legs, this also worked and what i used going forward

Apart from having the NAC52 on the top shelf, another solution here is to turn the rear leg by 90 degrees. IIRC @Tonym removed the leg altogether and just had the long bolt with an extra retainer and nut fitted to hold it in place. And as you correctly recall, another member (I cannot recall who it was now) drilled a neat hole through the rear leg…

More here;

1 Like

I have heard of turning the rear leg 90 degs, or you could buy a length of thick aluminium tubing of appropriate diameter and ‘face it off’ square to make a narrow pillar.

If you know someone who has access to a metal working lathe and a short length of off-cut aluminium, they could make you a nice narrow pillar with flared ends for improved stability. Now that sounds like a project worth doing.

top shelf is for LP12

ah, this sounds interesting – i’ll see if i have spare uprights… thanks

There is a pic on a thread i started called, full size melco on fraim does fit, not the best pics i am sorry to say, but might give you a better idea.
Cheers dunc

Roog many thanks – sounds like a good idea – off hand i dont anyone who can access a metal working lathe – but hey, who knows – after the ‘lockdowns’ i might search more vigorously…?

enjoy/ken

Your idea almost works – there is still some stress on the SL plug – but its definitely a lot better. The idea of removing the upright altogether is now on the table. i just need to find a nut to hold the pillar in place – noen ofthe nuts i have hear fit (they ‘almost’). Anyone can help me with teh specs of the nut so i can look for it on the net? Richard do you happen to know?

enjoy/ken

How about using a pipe cut down to the same length as the upright.

1 Like

Ken, one for Naim I think. I would just loosen off the back leg and turn by 90 degrees. Much easier.

As said 28mm copper pipe is perfect for the job, just cut it to the same lenght as the metal leg, and it fits perfectly over the naim bits.
You could easy paint it, so it blends in better if you wish, plus it looks much better than the threaded bar

Amazon sell short lengths of aluminium tubing, with various diameters and wall thicknesses, for a few quid.

If the metal worker is diligent, they could cut a length of pipe and file it carefully to make the ends reasonably square, after all it is only mating up against MDF and veneer not a surface ground engineered surface.
Whilst I love a small metal work project, :0) I am inclined to go with the standard leg turned by 90 deg!

The very first thing i tried Richard but this was with the std (wider) leg – will try with the narrower leg.

thanks. std leg turned by 90 degrees is unfortunately not enough… tried various angles – no joy. but a thinner leg may provide enough space for the SL head if turned…,

1 Like

Interesting … thanks Dunc…

interesting… thanks.

Oh wow, that is a pain, oh well metal work project is good, I would start with an aluminium pipe myself. Does anyone have the necessary dimensions? The diameter of the threaded rod which will define the minimum hole size and the max diameter of the column which will the interconnect to pass.