NAC52 + Supercap + NAP300DR?

Ah yes that would be least hassle for me short term of course using the DAC in 272 driven by the 555PSDR using the line out RCA to DIN in on a 52. So many alternative routes with naim that it’s tough making choices if you cannot make all changes at once or even listen to the different combos. There is a preloved NDS here at 2800GBP and I could potentially get that instead of an NDX2+555PSDR further down the road. There seem to be two camps on NDS vs NDX2 too (as most often :slightly_smiling_face: )

4 Likes

Two camps on NDS vs NDX2. Two camps on NDX2 vs NDAC. Two sides to a coin.

Life’s all about opinions.

We’re headed to NDX2 as digital transport into nDAC/555PSDR and we expect it to sound fabulous.

Something we had not really twigged until recently is the large part a quality digital transport plays in the digital chain. The NDX2 digital out into our lowly SuperUniti is an eye opener (temporary solution!) and we are absolutely on edge with excitement as to how the NDX2 into the DAC + PSU is going to sound.

2 Likes

Why not-
135+552?

1 Like

@ditton66 - my understanding is that the minus points of 135s versus (say) 500DR are what you expect (glorious sense of real voices and space and boogie, but not as quiet in background or as neutral or as controlled in bass).

Some say, understandably to my ear, that swapping a 52 for a 552 is a huge cost but the benefits of the 552 are much less evident via the 135s than via 300DR or 500. However, I’ll be happy to be told that lots of people find it works fine with their room, speakers and preferences.

3 Likes

@IainO - I’ll be interested to hear how it goes.

Some here has suggested strongly that a naked NDX2 sounds exactly the same as ND5XS2 + nDAC +PS, due to non-identical DAC choices, but that NDX2 + XPSDR (or 555) is considerably better than naked NDX2.

There are many ways to skin this metaphorical cat.

1 Like

Trading the 555PSDR would seem short-sighted given the prospective trajectory of the system - likely you would need to buy one in the future to optimise an NDX2/NDAC or even for an ND555…

3 Likes

Agreed, and in general I believe it’s always better to build a system from the front end. While I think some people here take the source first approach too far, it’s better than investing lots of cash in speakers and power amp, only to run out of cash to spend on an adequate front end, which we seem to see all too often these days.

3 Likes

For best sound quality keep the 555DR and pair it with an NDS and 52+SC if the budget can be stretched a little.

2 Likes

Don’t pay more than 2200GBP for a pristine recent NDS imo

555PSDR and 300DR stays :+1: Now trying to lay my hands on a 52+SC.

4 Likes

That sounds like a great combo. I feel sure you’d regret selling the 555.

1 Like

NDS/555PS/52/SC/300/300PS would be a pretty great system and goof vfm.

5 Likes

Precisely what I had for a while :blush:

3 Likes

The NDS second hand prices are so attractive I’ve been tempted to get one for my 555PS but I don’t want to go back to separates. Always the conundrum. Hopefully Naim releases the 272 replacement so I can forget about all that.

1 Like

I’ve been using a 52/SC/300dr for a little over 2 years now. I think it is a wonderful combination and i have no plans right now to change.

4 Likes

I’ve looked at the Icon and a couple of other passive pre-amps but not been able to listen to them as yet. I wonder if I could ask about your experiences with this one please, and any comparisons to Naim preamps that you may have come to?

I’m thinking it would be a great pairing for active ATCs and there is the option of a balanced pre too

Thanks

How does a NAC82 + SC perform against a 52+SC? And against the pre in my 272 powered by a 555PSDR. I don’t want to move sideways that is.

Found a great looking kit on my local market for much less (naturally). It’s serviced 2020 but still on POTS4 which the seller claims sound better than POTS8 on NAC82. It would be easy to move to a 52 later on but some claim the 82 with a Supercap is performing really great (what that means is different for everyone so :wink:)

I did exactly this with a Supercap on my 82 to a 52, it’s a huge improvement in musicality.

1 Like

Improving from a 272/555 skip the 82/282/SC and go 252DR/52/552

1 Like

I had an 82 +Hicap for years, into my olive 250.

I added a second Hicap - not much change imho.

I added a Supercap (as a precursor to a 52) - not much improvement.

Then I got a 52. To me it makes going back to the 82 sound a bit dull and muffled at low volume, but splashy (treble) and vague (esp in bass) when you really turn it up, and the stereo image from the 82 is unimpressive when a 52 has just shown you what is actually on the LP/ CD/ stream.

Critically, the 82 had about as much boogie as a 72, but with a lot more detail and control. Swapping to a 52 was a similar jump in that sense - once it was serviced and POTS8 done - more music and more foot-tapping as long as that is what is on the record.

I was never as moved by the 282 - a bit more detail and neutrality and quietness and control versus the 82 - but less foot-tapping fun.

It has been a long time since I heard a 272 in a comparable system, but my vague recollection is that the the pre-amp itself is the star, and a good power supply makes it at least as good as a preamp as the 282. I am not at all sure that there is a consensus for that view though.

The 252 looks a similar beast to the 282, but the 252 to me gets back most of the the vigour and fun that the 282 had diluted, while also being better in all the hi-fi details than a 282 and a little better in some ways than a 52.

However, I absolutely would not change my 52 for a 252 - the 252 is quieter and more neutral than the 52 but the 52 still makes for a bit more smiling, hair-raising chills, foot-tapping and failing to stop listening and go to bed. Given the age of a 52 and the price of a new 252, that’s impressive.

I would give up on my romance with the 52 if someone gave me a 552 of course - no disadvantages (apart from not fitting visually with my olive boxes), plus everything that the 252 does better than a 52 is increased again and the extra dynamics/ headroom mean it can be as intimate/ exciting/ involving as a 52. Have you seen what a 552 costs?!

9 Likes