NAC552/552PS vs DR

I stand corrected :+1:

Looks like I will go all in on a 552 next week then. Nervous! But I’m sure my 300DR will be happy with a better partner. It will not be optimised in the DAC side of things using the 272+555PSDR as a DAC only but in time I will move to an NDS or NDX2 +555PSDR, NAC552 and 300DR and I guess that will be a satisfying system for a long time :blush:

4 Likes

I don’t think you will be disappointed. Just make sure you check out the 552 and the seller before you part with your hard earned. Get a copy of the service paperwork also.

1 Like

The 552 in either DR or none DR is a real ear opener you won’t be disappointed

2 Likes

Why did you ask about a 52?

Do you have one or are you still using a 272/555DR?

For me a non-DR 252 was a good step after the 272, but the 52 is really special, something very satisfying and lovely to listen to.

But, yes, take care to chat to the 552 owner, look at the service and purchase paperwork, ask to hear one or two tracks before you buy it if poss, and if all is well you will have a huge upgrade on your hands.

2 Likes

I guess you only want to change pre-amps once, so it comes done to budget and want you want to do with your digital source.

1 Like

On the streaming side I can really vote for ND5 XS2 + nDAC + 555PS. A superb combo!

3 Likes

Update. Collecting the 552/552PS on Thursday. Fun (and expensive) times! :smiley: Fully aware of the current limitations on the DAC but one step at a time. At least the 552 and 300DR is on a level I hopefully won’t have to think about any longer :slightly_smiling_face:

Cannot find how the transit screws shall be removed in the manual online. You put it in place in the rack and lift it gently in the front and unscrew them or? Information anywhere?

2 Likes

Put the rear feet of the 552 on the rack and hold the front of it as level as you can. Unscrew the transit screws then carefully slide the 552 into place, avoiding any sharp or jerky movements.

3 Likes

They’re quite short screws and just position on a table (or equivalent) and slide over the edge to enable access, and undo each one. The head unit is quite weighty and can be carried horizontally with obvious care.

Best to tape the transit screws to the casework to stop them loosening-off in transit.

I had to use 6" Stillsons to undo one of the transit screws when my 552 came back from Naim, it certainly didn’t need the bit of tape they put over it! I don’t have particularly feeble, spaghetti fingers either…

…probably cryogenically treated in a courier’s cold-store warehouse on its way back to you :grin:

3 Likes

And don’t turn it upside down. It makes a very expensive noise :flushed:

4 Likes

I put my 552 level on the arm of my sofa and slide it partially off the edge and unscrew each transit bolt by repositioning on the sofa arm. Whatever you do, do not turn the 552 on its side or upside down!

When all the transit bolts are out, move it very carefully onto your rack as the inner chassis will be floating on springs.

Have fun, and let us know how it all sounds.

4 Likes

Should it be a Powerline or standard power cord included in a 2010 552/552PS? The accessory list claims Powerline but as I understand it depends on the manufacturing year since Powerline was released when? Has it always been two remotes too?

NAC552/552PS - Burndy, SNAIC5, R-Com, Narcom, Powerline

https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic.php?oid=1566878604301792&coid=159503632588890

It will be a standard power chord :+1:t3: ATB Peter

1 Like

Yes, two remotes because while the R-Com is a lovely bit of kit for everyday use, it does lack some of the additional functions you need for certain set-up operations, hence why you also get a Narcom.

1 Like

When @Polarbear of this parish had his CD555 in for some TLC he had on loan I think a CDS5i which sounded surprisingly good through his 552/500.

I did indeed but not sure what its got to do with this thread @LindsayM ?

Argh @Blackbird was getting a 552 but dealing with the source later I was just reassuring that the 552 will still be great.

1 Like