NAC62 Tape output to headphone amp

Thanks. So a regular 5 pin DIN to RCA like this would need the 2 “Play” pins on the 62 disconnected ? audioquest-sydney-5-pin-din-to-2-rca-audio-cable

I do find it remarkable that this thread is still going. How simple must it be made…?

The Tape socket has 5 pins. One is the ground or negative . Two pins carry the left & right outputs, the other 2 pins carry the left & right inputs. The pin allocations are on the back of the Naim pre amp. Or can be found on Wikipedia.

Depending on how they are wired, you can have a cable which is just ‘output’ or just ‘input’ - each having 2 phono plugs, for left & right. Alternatively/in addition, you can get a cable which is fully wired - and has 4 phono plugs - 2 being the outputs and 2 being the inputs.

2 Likes

Thanks. So I need a 5 Pin DIN to 4 x RCA connects? I do have 4 RCA inputs on my Chord Anni amp

For connecting to a headphone amp, You can use one of those yes, and it’s a lead you’re more likely to find “off the shelf”, but you’ll only need to use one the two pairs of RCA phonos. Leave the other pair unconnected.

Dont connect to a power amp though. The Tape/Rec out signal is fixed Level so you’d likely blow your speakers!

1 Like

Thanks. You say only the 2 output pins (and ground) are connected. Did you disconnect the other two pins? And are you saying when connected the output to the power amp was muted? You say the speaker output was muted

Thank you Ian. Please forgive my ignorance but I’m just trying to establish if an off the shelf 5 pin DIN to 2 x phono plugs will work to connect my NAC62 to my Chord Anni headphone amp and seem to have differing opinions on this. This comment would appear to say it will not work .“” However, if it’s a source interconnect with the ‘Play’ pins connected then it won’t work connecting a headphone amp to the Tape in/out DIN on a Naim pre-amp""

Thanks. So this lead should suffice ? audioquest-sydney-5-pin-din-to-2-rca-audio-cable

So that should be fine in my situation then. So I can use the headphone amp when in mute switch on the 62 as the Record pins which send the sound to the headphone amp will be unaffected but the sound to the NAC90 amp will be muted.

1 Like

No, this appears to be for connecting a source to a pre-amp, which is how most off-the-shelf DIN-2 xRCA or 2xRCA-DIN interconnects will be. It will either need modification of the wiring at the DIN plug end (to move the wires from the Play to the Rec pins), or a specific custom lead made up. If you want an off-the-shelf interconnect then choose a tape interconnect with DIN5 - 4 x RCA Phono and just connect one set of RCA Phonos (the pair that are connected to the Tape out pins of the DIN).

It’s all covered in the FAQ that I linked to earlier. Here it is again…

p.s. As per forum rules, please don’t post unauthorised live links to commercial sites in the Hifi Corner. Thanks.

1 Like

So an off the shelf 5 pin DIN to RCA the Play pins need to be disconnected ?

My sincere apologies. Was not aware and won’t repeat my error.

Now things are making sense Thank you again

1 Like

The wires that are connected to the Play pins would need to de-soldered and then re-soldered to the Rec pins.

1 Like

Good soldering skills are a must, to pull this off.

5 pin 180 degree DINs (such as used for Tape in/out) are the most challenging. Enjoy…!!

1 Like

Cool. Then will get the 5 pin DIN to 4 x RCA and tape mask the 2 that are not needed. Much appreciate your help sir

I didn’t disconnect any pins, only 2 pins where connected.

Connecting the cable doesn’t mute anything, switching from normal to mute or mon, mutes the speakers.

1 Like

Thanks again but different from earlier pic on the thread

No, pin 3 and 5 fit into ch1 and ch2 IN.

See the numbering on a 5 pin DIN 180 here. This shows the socket face (as shown in the image of the sockets on a Naim pre-amp, above) or the plug pins from the solder side (ie. behind);

It may be easier to look at it this way so it matches better the socket on the Naim pre-amp;

For the DIN5 on the interconnect to your headphone amp you want pins 1 and 4 (ch.1 and ch.2 OUT) and -VE.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard for the second image.

My blood pressure was going through the roof standing on my head looking at the first one. :grinning:

1 Like