NAC82/ NAP200 - HiCap or don’t bother?

@Thomas7string (and Ian2001 :slight_smile: ) the new service price list was posted here:

1 Like

Thanks!

Add me to the list encouraging you to use a hicap. I got my 282/200 second hand and had them serviced, but got a brand new hicap dr for the 282.

Also, I’m hoping sometime to upgrade to a 250DR, which would necessitate a hicap for the 282 as the 250 can’t power it like the 200 can.

Having any HiCap opens up lots of possibilities… My first one, bought back in 1986, has powered a 42-5, an earlier 72, a 102, a later 72 and now an 82…

1 Like

Good stuff. Which NAP do you use? And have you compared without VS with on the 82?

CB/Olive 250, since 1985. Originally with a SNAPS.

1 Like

I just sealed a deal on a Hi-Cap 2. Picking it up some time this week. Question in regards to placement of the different elements. It is said that the pre should be as far away from PSU’s as possible in the rack. I am starting to get my self in to some trouble placement wise; Can the NAPSC stand on top og the HC? Or is that a big no? I will figure something out if that is no good, but it would be an easy fix.

-T

1 Like

The NAPSC can go on the floor…

2 Likes

Yes, best to keep the pre away from components with mains transformers in them. Just put the NAPSC down on the floor or under the rack if you’re running out of space.

1 Like

Or you could try putting the NAPSC in various locations and then use your own judgement.

2 Likes

Of course. But guidelines from experienced isers tends to work fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, so here’s my “experience”, I have tried both a NAPSC and a NAPSC2 in various locations for my 82, and found that location makes little or buqqer all difference.

The only thing I would say is don’t put it on the 82 itself, because after a couple of years the rubber feet go all yucky and leave nasty marks on the case (or in my case on the beige carpet in the living room), and they’re a right b***ard to clean!

4 Likes

That was my experience too. After trying it as far away from the rack as its mains lead allowed due to some forum induced paranoia, I ended up tucking it underneath the rack.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks.

Thanks!

So, the HC is in the house, and I can’t wait to try it out. A bonus (a dealer told me yesterday) is that the HC also can couple with a sub with DIN —> RCA. Perfect, as the 82 lack this option. Yes, there is the high level speaker option. But I never got that far.

Just be sure to use either the Naim sub lead or one that has been slugged as the HICAP wasn’t originally designed to drive long interconnects. Failure to do so can impair overall performance.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard. Will the sub connection do anything with the performance, given that the connector is the right (as you say)?

Generally I tend to prefer high level connection, but of course not all subs offer this.

What do you mean by «slugged» by the way?