Naca5 in a 12m in-wall duct

With apologies to LarsDK for a slight thread diversion, but I have a very similar query. We are having a new fireplace fitted soon and, like many others on the forum, I intend to run a conduit under the fireplace plinth for one run of speaker cable (the speakers sit either side of the fireplace). I have seen a conduit sized 40mm x 16mm and one sized 50mm x 50mm. The speaker cable (with plug attached) will only run through the 50 x 50 conduit, but 50 x 50 seems a bit large to go under the fireplace plinth. It dawned on me that a much smaller conduit could be used if the speaker cable was threaded through with no plug attached. I was wondering if this is what others have done and had subsequently soldered a new plug on after threading through?

Any advice gratefully received.

If you can run trunking that thick without it looking like an eyesore I would go for the biggest you can. On the other hand if that means some horrible plastic stuff in full view I would definitely remove the plugs and resolder them afterwards.

Thanks - that’s my worry, I feel it might look a bit of an eyesore! The more I think about it, a smaller conduit and a re- solder may be the better solution.

Are you intending to lay a stone hearth which can be pulled out a little to leave a gap for the cable? If so, perhaps you can lay the cable in place before it goes in so that the plugs don’t need to be removed. You may not then need trunking at all, or if you do, get some like this which could have the cable inserted intact by removing the cover. Once buried, you would only need to remove the plugs if you had to remove the cables.

I had some 40mm x 25mm conduit run behind ours when we had a new fireplace installed.

No issues with pushing cables through. When I did use Naim NAC-A5 cable with the SA8 plugs, the plug housing was easy to remove to allow the cable and pins to be pushed through and the housing assembled again once through. What cable are you using ?

@ChrisSU , that is exactly the type of conduit I have been looking at. Your idea of inserting the cable intact is a great idea. I’m not very practically minded and this never occurred to me. That’s why I thought I’ll put a query on the forum, as I’m sure someone will have a bright idea.

Thanks very much.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think pushing the cable through will be fine. I seem to recall Hungry Halibut said he had no problems pushing the cable through on another thread. The conduit I have got looks similar to yours. I note your comments on the plug housing. I’m using Nac A5.

If you need to pull the cable through the black plastic housing on Naim banana plugs (assuming that’s what you are using) is easily removed by unscrewing the single small screw that holds it together. The stiffness of NACA5 means that if the conduit is straight you should have no trouble pushing it through.

1 Like

Thanks again - good advice.

Thx both! Will see if that is possible. Br Lars

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.