Naca5 treble extension

I’m running single wire, Naim plugs into bananas ad neat sx3 with only one terminal. Naca5 is 5m long.
Difference is that they now sound more open and deffo not rolled off anymore. Just sounds more together.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to give some feedback. I’m thinking I might get a set of longer runs made up having read back through this thread. That gives me a proper chance to not only compare the soldered Naim plugs but also the cable length as well. I’ve always had a bit of a niggle that mine are a bit on the short side they don’t need to be long for layout purposes but the ones I’m using currently that I’ve had for probably 15 years thinking about it are around the minimum end of length, 3.5m or there abouts.
I think the challenge in part is taming that considerable length of cable in an average sized room, mine is about 4m x 4m from memory so this means 10-11m of stiff as you like A5 snaking all over the floor somehow!
Worse case It gives me a spare set or can let them go. It may give me the excuse I need to put an Atom in the kitchen…

2 Likes

Naim NAC a5 is Great cable in my opinion. The best alternative i have had is an Audience Au24. This was an absolute dream to deal with. Very thin and just hides away from sight. It did offer liquid and extended highs and more air than the NAC A5.

But I much prefer the NAC A5 for its drive and attack. It’s just more coherent in my opinion. I don’t think I will ever change it tbh. I’m using 8.5 metre lengths as recommended as an ideal length for olive amplifiers from the older Naim forum. I’ve also replaced the gold plated standard banana plugs with Gothic Audio’s silver plated tellurium copper plugs. A very worthwhile improvement I would say.

1 Like

NacA5 user myself. Tried TQ black and Nordost Red Dawn but went back to A5. Yes the other cables have more detail but the bounce and drive comes back with the Naim Cable

I will at some stage try some Vertere cables or Super Lumina

1 Like

Never Never coil your speaker cables!! As this creates huge amts of inductance…
Hence your role off will be severe and explains your issue.
You need to uncoil your cables and lay each in very lose loops on your floor/carpet.
I made that mistake years ago. Naims advice is as per also.
You bottom/mids/top-end will be Equally presented.
If NOT^^ you have issues elsewhere in your system. Albeit very stiff/a pain around corners…With Naim Gear…as Designed^^ NAC-A5 is hard to beat… I have tried many cables…
Super Lumina?? Suggest you try Witchhat as their speaker cables work also^^ NAC-A5 uncoiled as it should be^^ “WORKS”

Try witchhat Phantom b4 Super Lumina…
Peanuts in Comparison^^
Then spend the left-over cash on better upfront NAC or Amps.
Is My advice.

Hi it’s now folded under the rack and with the new termination it sounds miles better

1 Like

I agree, I find the effect of some hifi speaker cables unnaturally bright or artificial sounding … sure some can be airy… but in my experience, albeit from a few years ago now, is not how the tracks or recordings were mastered… ie it’s an artefact.
NACA5 and to be fair a few others, seem to get it right with no artificial extension, or I think what some call the Hi-Fi sound effect.
But yes it will depend on what you are used to.
I do concede excessively long NACA5 run may attenuate the Hf more than ideal. I run 2x4m and it’s ideal with my ATCs. I get good imaging and projection, and the natural bite from orchestral brass or acoustic feel of cathedral choirs without that artificial sparkle that really irritates me…
I also admit it wasn’t until I got my 552DR that much of this came into clear focus.

1 Like

Oh dear… another urban myth. No issue at all in coiling speaker cables… especially NACA5.
The twin run cable, positive and negative to the speaker cancels the induction out. … basic physics.
The only issue of coiling, and why not recommended with mains extension leads etc, is the heating over a confined area… not an issue with domestic Hi-Fi… possibly an issue for a 10kW venue speaker feed.

The worst will do if your amp suffers from common mode interference, then you may create an inductive path to coupled ground… but if the case I would address the issue with what is causing the common mode interference to the amp… this would equally apply to mains cables as well.

1 Like

That’s great Hfi-dog. Some how i now get that feeling, at this time, that nothing else matters. Enjoy my forum friend, you really have a wonderful system. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks mate. I am loving it👌

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.