NACA5 vs TQ Black II vs Witch Hat Phantom

Haven’t done that much switching since the TQ just felt so “right”. It sounds more clean and music flows in a better way. Mids and highs are very natural, real and analogue and the bass more defined. What you read about the TQs in reviews are pretty spot on. If you have the possibility to buy and try the go for it. I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy them as I do :+1:

1 Like

a quick update

After comparing the TQs vs NACA5 extensively this week, and probably because the TQs have now settled into my system, I now prefer them to the naim cables. The midrange has really come together to give a very natural and coherence presentation. The NACA5 still has a more intimate sound, but the naturalness of TQs has won me over.

On the other hand, the Witch Hat Phantom order I placed more than 3 weeks ago is still “in progress”, despite my multiple emails to them…very frustrating.

2 Likes

I’m now swapping my tq silver for phantom… will report over weekend

4 Likes

Well quick A B dem and the phantom has the rythmn of naca5 and the details of the TQsilver… so far very impressed. Whilst it’s a bit coarser sounding than the tq my feet are tapping and head nodding so that has to be a good sign…back to the music and more tomorrow

9 Likes

Ok - the phantoms are staying in the context of naim system. They are not as open and refined as the TQ silver but have the boogie factor of naca5 so it’s a trade off either way. Both really good but can only keep one, so silvers up for sale.

3 Likes

Have you tried the TQ Silver against the Black?

My phantoms are still being manufactured and it’s been like 3 weeks since I ordered them.

Just out of interest what made you want to change from NAC A5?

It’s part of Naim’s sense of humor…
Let’s put the left speaker terminal on the right side and the right terminal on the left side.
Then we’ll sell them the stiffest, ugliest speaker wire at a premium price and tell them they need at least 8 meters per channel for it to sound good. :nerd_face:

9 Likes

Been a while since I had black but they are a big leap up in terms of resolution.

1 Like

Hi Steve- the 3 spare metres folded under the rack fighting with everything and getting them to hang from stand mounts and into a conduit on the skirting was a pain so something more flexible was welcome

3 Likes

Interesting. I found plain old TQB a big step up from NACA5. More resolving without compromising ‘prat’.

I was considering Phantom as I’ve the Morgana interconnects but from what you say I think I’ll pass.

G

1 Like

I wouldn’t anymore resolution, NAC A5 has easily enough for my tastes. Any more extension at either end would also tip the scales for me. Just goes to show that not one shoe fits all.

Do you have an update on the Witch Hat Phantoms ??

the phantoms are staying in the context of naim system. They are not as open and refined as the TQ silver but have the boogie factor of naca5 and surprisingly my sn3 runs a tad cooler after being on all day. Now I’ve had them in a few days I swapped back to the TQ and took them out. Deffo worth an audition and I got mine cheap used so a no brainier

1 Like

You’re making me want to try WH. I wonder if it’s time to move beyond my TQB cables.

1 Like

Worth having in mind is he has the TQ silver which is different sounding than the black. In general silver seems to be either love or hate in that they provide more detail, top end, extension which some find to bright sounding.

2 Likes

I swapped out NACA5 for WHP. More open and boogie factor with the NAP250DR…

2 Likes

From my point of view, having tested the TQ Black II and the Silver II in comparison with NACA5 and Chord EpicX, the Silver II is definitely more detailed and clear (but in my system and in my environment not at all negatively bright) excellent in my opinion to have details even during night listening and / or at low volume sessions: for my taste the real limit of the silver II is a medium/low and low detailed and with control, but with a tone too clear and light (but in this case I think it is personal taste).
Just for your info, I’m moving towards Chord Epic X…

Regards
David

I have used Epic, Odyssey, A5, TQB, WH Phantom, next is KS-1.
I usually connect them for a longer period before stressing any conclusion.
I don’t buy into “cables sound the same”

What are you using now? Have a preference among these?

1 Like