Naim 5i

That’s a good start thanks re why the amp interferes with what I want. it’s not my scene when companies adjust things for you. It’s rather like 10 pin bowling where I learnt to score many moons ago and now when you go 10 pin bowling anywhere you have large screens with American cartoons and everything added up for you to dumb everyone down. :slight_smile:

Back on topic, I have not used a 5i in ages so I cannot remember if it did this. But when you turn it on, does it not have to select some input?

Well it could just stay where one left it, however, it goes to CD. I have an Airport Express on the Tuner input to stream music from my Mac, so, why it always goes to CD is a mystery at present.

Depends on how this is implemented, maybe it forgets when the electricity is off …
I messaged a friend who has a 5i to ask if she can try but she’s out of town for longer.

Have you got them turned on ?
As I mentioned earlier the logic sensors may well be automatically going to the active input.
As your in the habit of turning things off -your other devices/inputs might not be active.
Hence why i will always be wedded to a rotary input selector. It will always be where i left it.

1 Like

Maybe just connect what you want to stay connected to the CD input?

1 Like

Quite a strange thread we’ve veered from tussling with saving the planet (a term that always makes me think of Superman) to worrying about the fact that an amp returns to CD when it’s switched on which is quite a swing in the ‘what’s important’ category.

I’d say that anyone wrestling with his conscience over the first would simply switch to the source he needs when confronted with the second.

Both very, very funny and very, very practical well done.

Why should it? I guess I am used to my old NAC 62 / Nap 140 that I sold when I bought the 5i. Whatever you had left the selector knob on was where it stayed until you moved it, which is normal behaviour.

I have a turntable, CD and Tuner inputs being used. I just want to know how to stop the amplifier from automatically altering where the selector button is until I decide to alter it, when I have turned the amp off and then back on.

Well the 5i has no rotating knob but buttons, and their state may or may not get saved when powered off. It depends on how it is implemented and unfortunately I don’t know and have no way to test

Mine is the same. Obviously a Naim feature.

1 Like

Can’t answer this, however, I have CD, Tuner and Phono inputs plugged in and it always goes to CD when I turn on again. I will talk to Techies at Naim tomorrow see how/if this can be altered.

If your amp is hot enough to overheat your listening room, then it needs attention.

Don’t know, but I just tried and my 252 remembers the last input when I power it down. (Granted I only left the SC off for 10 seconds)

Haven’t seen any mention of overheating except in member’s reactions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well…

1 Like

Thankyou @Suedkiez .
@Hughmoz … are you OK?

2 Likes

Missed Mayday’s post innit :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.