Naim 82/180 with spendor sp1/2

You’ll need a hicap anyway if you move up to any naim power amp bigger than the 180 so I would buy that first. I’ve never used an 82 bare so can’t comment on the impact a hicap might have other than to say I didn’t think the jump up with a hicap when I had my 102 was as big as the jump from 180 to 250.

The 250 in my experience was a really significant upgrade over the 180 and gave a lot more warmth, texture and bass slam/depth. The 180 sounded lightweight by comparison. (Note I am talking about olive gear here).

JonathanG

I have The same setup and had the same experience when first connected. 82 is forward sounding with 180, also with sc and 250. I tried flatcap as well, no hicap. I changed speakers to Bowers 702 and now it sings with 82-180. Lovely punch with vinyl on lower volume (dance music).

52-sc-250 is from a different planet in comparison however😇. I find xs2, nait 3 and 52 somehow similar in musical sound where 82 is different.

Thank you for your comments.
It’s been over a week now and the tone has changed like a lie.
Both the rigid sound and the base that was lacking were resolved.
The sound is so good. :blush:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.