Naim Allae requirements

Regarding set up and tightening torques. I recieved an email reply from technical support with the following settings;

​The bass driver is 3.6nM.
The tweeter plat is 0.8nM

The 3 small woodsrews that secure the leaf spring to the cabinet 0.8nM
The larger screws (2) at each end of the leaf spring into the base frame 3.6nM

Following a browse online I haven’t found a torque wrench with a setting as low as 0.8nM

:grin:

4 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@Dreadatthecontrols,…Try the…

“Sturtevant Richmont CAL 36/4 torque-wrench”

This we use,.Fredrik Lejonklou.and the most at Lejonklou’s forum.
• Thanks for your post about Nm-values,.this has great significance for soundquality.

:small_orange_diamond:Below,.a post from 2012,by a member at Lejonklou’s forum.

Those who have not tried this,.probably do not understand the meaning,and will laugh at this post.
But I advise them to be Openminded and try,.you will be surprised.

"2012-09-09 11:22
OK, I tried some various torques and copied some here.
The sound differences are surprisingly dramatic.
I’ve settled on the following all in Nm:

• Linn Klimax Kontrol.
Boards (top and bottom including risers) 0.95
Ground bolt 2
Chassis back 0.8
Case bottom cover 0.8
PSU cover 0.4

• Linn Klimax DS.
Main board inc divider 0.95
PSU board 0.95
Chassis back 0.8
Case bottom cover 0.8
There are no psu cover screws (loose plastic cover)

As I say, the difference in sound quality is very noticeable.
Initial observations are it’s really tightened up the sound and detail is something else.
It never fails to amaze me what a difference things like this make …"

/Peder🙂

Correction;
Searching for Torque Screwdriver instead of Torque Wrench yields plenty of suitable results

This is fantastic mate! And this is the thread that I am looking for :rofl:

I have checked the bass driver and tweeter’s torques are in good setting but not the other leaf spring screws to the cabinet and base frame. Will give a check tomoroow after work then.

You may search for Tohnichi > RNTD120CN adjustable torque wrench for 0.8Nm.

Cheers

2 Likes

Hi Scubanasa,
Over on the other thread you said;

“I replaced my active Allae to SBL which IMO having better bass quality and control compared to Allae. Anyhow I am missing something what Allae has.”

Have you subsequently switched back to Allae’s and if so what was it that you felt was missing from the SBL vs Allae. Would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

1 Like

If this helps I found these pictures online of a dismantled base.

Naim-Allae-hifi-supporto-diffusore-punte-isolatore-ricambio-_1 Naim-Allae-hifi-supporto-diffusore-punte-isolatore-ricambio s-l400

:small_blue_diamond:That is exactly what I suggested…See picture.

• Sturtevant Richmont CAL 36/4

Sturtevant Richmont Adjustable Torque Screwdriver - Cal 36/4 Series.

Sturtevant Richmont’s Adjustable Torque Screwdriver - Cal 36/4 Series is equipped with components that ensure tightening to a specified torque.
Adjustable torque screwdrivers are used in mechanical production,.manufacturing and maintenance.

The Cal 36/4 Series Adjustable Torque Screwdrivers,.are ideal for any application where high repeatability for Low Torque is needed,and durability and versatility are required.

:small_orange_diamond:And this use different dealers within Naim and Linn all over the world.
So it is tested for low Nm-values.

/Peder🙂

2 Likes

I wonder what happened when the 5 series was introduced and Intros and Credos were still current? Active seemed to go out of the window!

Sorry Chris I think I’m missing your point?
Of course Naim had higher level electronics at the time and still make SNAXO for active systems. They haven’t gone out the window.

Yes, that’s exactly it. Naim used to promote active when your Slimline olives were current. When the 5 series came out that appeared to stop.

Maybe there was more profit in moving people on from 5 series stuff to, say, 282/hc/250 as quickly as possible :slight_smile:

I’m not sure that’s quite correct, Naim have always made an active option available and still do.
(Eg Naim 6 pack, Snaxo 135’s, Linn Isobarik or the entry level active 3 series were discussing)
You may be right that Naim moved away from the active 3 series (which was promoted at the time with it’s own brochure) on the introduction of the 5 in order to ensure a more profitable path toward the higher order more expensive electronics.
In my experience living with this system since current I can honestly say that it has and still is serving my musical satisfaction very well many years forward. I feel that I would have to splash a lot of cash to realise a significant improvement in passive mode over what I have and therefore the system is fundamentally unchanged. (Except Nac 202, Napsc, Hicap DR and Allae’s) So perhaps this might support your suggestion. I talked about this system some time back at a HiFi show in Brighton with, If I recall correctly, Paul Stephenson from Naim, I dont recall verbatim but he was very enthusiastic about the Ixo, Nap 90 combo and the performance that could be achieved from them and at an entry price level.

As I said earlier active systems in my view have perhaps fallen out of fashion due to increased box count and the trend for simpler systems and one box streaming options. I would agree that from a manufacturers point of view it’s going to be easier to market passive systems than trying to convince punters to buy crossovers and multiple amplifiers.
That said, I dont really understand why serious audiophiles overlook active operation if box count can be accomodated. I expect someone may chip in here and correct me but I’m fairly sure that professional audio systems and live events dont use passive electronics.
To my mind the theory at least of active operation makes perfect technical sense at any price level.

2 Likes

You are just making me want to hear my Allaes - active - in my XS set even more :-)))

3 Likes

Go for it.
An IXO although not often seen can probably be picked up for a song on the fleabay then get Darran at Class A or Naim to service it. Oh and of course another amp.

I had my IXO and 90’s serviced a few years ago by Naim, I would need to check but I think about £500 for the 3 units.
On the one hand that may seem a bit daft considering 90’s can be had used for about £100 ish.
But then again what amp could you buy for £500 that would deliver comparable performance for another 10 years or so? Therefore a sonic bargain!

2 Likes

@Stephen_Tate
Hi Stephen, I see from your profile that you started out with the active slimline Olive system.
Have you considered resurecting it?

Cheers
Richard

Hi Richard,

Yes I have thought many times that system should be brought back to life, trouble is I’m in different circumstances now to where I was when I had it running in the past. One reason is my listening environment is a lot smaller to what it was, so the thought of lots of boxes, cables and bigger speakers is a tough one, especially with SWMBO, plus all of it will need sending off for a service. My guess is best part of a £grand here.
Also, l have just invested in a much more ‘up to date’ 2x box streaming system which feed a pair of compact Neats. Oh, then there’s trying to claim my Credos back from my son, this may prove more difficult than at first realised.

So yes I have thought about it and may still do one day but then again I could sell it all and upgrade my current set.

I do have fond memories of that system though and is one of the reasons I still have it in storage.

1 Like

I thought you moved to a 152/155 combo Chris, you reverted back to an XS?

I tend to use set and system interchangeably. My XS set consists of CD5XS, FCXS, NAC152XS and NAP155XS, with Allaes. There is also a record player, a Stageline, and a NAT05.

Both the Nait XSs that I owned had been great for me but I got to stage where I took a look at myself and decided I was a pre-power guy. What were Naim about if not the separation of toroidal transformers from the delicate bits of a preamp?!

The set was broadly the recommendation of a forum friend who has a top flight Naim set. He said how good it was with Allaes, and so it has proved.

2 Likes

I had pair for about 12 years wi

I had Allaes running passive for about 10 years. I replaced them with Titan 606 when I completed an upgrade path. The Allaes were great. My room is not that easy and they sounded fine. Very articulate in vocals and bass was well presented for what is quite a small speaker. They look beautiful. I had cherry finish which aged beautifully. I have seen them on a well known EBay site and they are a total bargain. I traded mine in against the 606 and was allowed a good price against them. I had some SBLs for a while and preferred the Allaes but in all fairness the dealer set up the Allaes but I did the SBLs myself

1 Like

It was hearing exactly that at my corner dealers on a Naim weekend which persuaded me down that route. The Allaes sounded very dry though.