Naim and atc scm40a

Can you tell me what was ypur room size with Scm40 passive?

My room dimensions are 4m x 4.5m. The room has a bay window and chimney breast in it. The ceiling height is 2.75m. Hope, this is of help. If considering the ATC 40’s, I would, with hindsight, require a home demonstration. You just cannot take things for granted. I mean the ATC’s did not work in my room, but the PMC Twenty5 26 do and they are not what would class as being a small loudspeaker.:blush:

Do you mean about bass beahviour in the room between PMC 26 and ATC 40? Is ATC more fussy than ATC regarding Bass response also if they are in sealed box?

Yep, I regard a home demo as essential when buying pricey speakers. That’s what I did to confirm SCM40As would work in my room. All thanks to the dealer for three long trips to my house bringing, removing and setting up these hefty (36kg) boxes.

Whether they work in a particular room depends, I think, on more than just its dimensions. The entry level ATC range is closed box which is supposed to make them more position-agnostic. But in my (just under 4x6m) room I found that they worked better well away from walls and firing down the room rather than across, which is how I had my previous speakers. Not everyone will have space to set them up this way.

Apologies to the OP for thread diversion.

Roger

The ATC’s have a great sound rich bass etc but are at their best when played at medium or high volumes.

Yes, the bass output was the problem. There was just too much for the room, wherever I sited them. I was gutted, because I really wanted them to work. The mid range is amazing and the treble is sweet. There are two other observations I can make, from my personal experience. To get them performing, you need to crank up the volume, not neighbour friendly. If you play them at a lower level, the information retrieval level suffers. This I find is one of the strengths of PMC.

You need a streamer/DAC and preamp. The 272 has these in one box but uses the old streaming platform. Alternatively, something like a ND5XS/202/HC or NDX2/282/HC could work well at a much higher price. If you’re going for the 272, I assume you know that it is no longer in the current range and may or may not soon be replaced. (You could look in the Love 272 thread, but pour yourself a beer or glass of wine first!) I would definitely look for a well-priced used unit, so you could move it on without a big financial hit if you wanted to upgrade later.

I had a 272/XPS/250 and, when I changed speakers to SCM40As, I auditioned the 272 against the Auralic Vega and, unwilling to wait for 272.2, ended up with the latter. You might find it’s sound signature is closer to Naim than Linn, but that could depend on your musical tastes.

Roger

According to ATC the Tower series (including 20ASLTs) and Classic series are manufactured by “a small furniture manufacturing workshop” in the UK rather than by ATC themselves. Not sure that makes a ha’porth of difference though.

Roger

Odd, because the PMC goes a fair bit deeper than the SCM40 - though I’d note that over the decades I have used three different large transmission line speakers in a range of rooms down to 5x3.5m and never been unhappy with them, ao perhaps for some reason unknown to me the speaker design may factor in.

As for mid, yes the ATC SM75-150 unit that features in the SCM40 and upwards is sublime! Regarded by some as the best mid driver there is, IIRC it has in the past over its 40+ year life(!) been used by a number of top speaker manufacturers, though ATC ceased to supply to others a few years ago - perhaps coinciding with their own increased focus on the domestic hifi market.

Because ATC are primarily drive unit manufacturers, expanded into loufspeaker box design and manufacture for the pro market where external appearance was never a critical factor. For domestic use wood finishes were introduced, but still utilitarian. But then when they wanted to make them even more domestically appealing, introducing designs soecifically intended for that market, they would have needed different skills and tooling etc, and I guess decided that could more readily or effectively be done by an existing quality cabinet maker.

Hi PeakMan, my room is similar, 6x4,5m plus an open connection to the kitchen. I do not know If I’ll be able to have a home demo. My currently Kudos C20 is very room friendly and I hate bloomy bass. From this point of view, probably PMC is more forgiven.
One picture and other drawing from the final solution. Unfortunately, loudspeakers need to be place asymmetric.

2 Likes

There was no one more surprised than me. After selling and trading in, ATC CDA2, P1 and 40’s. I purchased a Nova and PMC Twenty5 23. I was a lot more happier with balance of this system, yet still missed aspects of 3 way design speaker. A 3 month old pair of Twenty5 26 came up for sale, with preferred finish, at less than half price. Curiosity got the better of me and to be truthful, thought they would be too much for room. However, at the purchase price, I knew I could sell them on, without loss. Well, the rest is history, as you can see…

1 Like

If you look at them in the flesh, you’ll see that the quality of the veneer is far higher on the Classic series than it is on the Entry models. There’s also a wide choice of wood veneers, rather than only cherry.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.