Naim and Dynaudio Thread

Running Contour 60s here with NAP 300, a very good match. I have no doubt that they would also run fine with NAP 250. The newer Contours have higher sensitivity that older units such as Contour 1.8 Mk 2.

I have NAP250DR feeding my Contour s5.4 and the sound is wonderful. And Tidal has been behaving today.

2 Likes

The manufacturer of this amp has asked that his products not be discussed on the Naim Forum and so if I did tell you this post would be removed.
When I bought my Dynaudios they where being played with a Hegel amp which sounded really good.

Who would remove your post? The day users cannot discuss HiFi options in this forum, other than Naim products, is the day it seriously looses value.

Why would a HiFi company not want their products discussed unless they are worried about being compared with others? A reason to question their integrity and quality me thinks…

1 Like

I believe this is probably a specific company who have asked Naim that their products are not discussed here, and I’m sure Naim are more than happy to comply given that this company’s main business is unauthorised mods to Naim boxes, which is also a subject that cannot be discussed here. There is no general ban on discussion of non-Naim products here.

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/forum-rules-please-read-follow/88/4

Specifically this is the section of the rules “A couple of individuals and companies have, in the past, expressed a strong desire not to have either their names mentioned or products discussed on the Naim forum and we are happy to oblige (including here). Any mention of their names or the names of their products will be moderated accordingly.”

Great post! I’m happy and impressed about your Dynaudio and Naim setups. Dynaudio Confidence is a dream!

I have Contour 1.4 S bookshelves, driven by a Naim Nait 5i. This incredible integrated is capable of powering Contour bookshelf easily.

1 Like

It’s a double edged sword. I once had a company contact my dealer about something I wrote on the forum (which was mostly positive) and my dealer pass on the concern to me. In that respect, I mentally told them to foxtrot oscar and continued as is.

But for Naim, they would probably prefer to have an unhindered forum but they do exist within a larger community of manufacturers. They are not a consumer advice forum or journalists. So as hardware makers they need to get along with their own community of fellow brands too and keep the competition to the sales numbers rather than other types of animosity. I don’t think they are condoning censorship so much as just trying to make sure everyone gets along.

2 Likes

Having read the forum rules (for the first time) I think we are good. I have not broken any of the rules the past and will try hard to avoid doing so in the future. My comment above was a bit more general and in response to previous posters.

The rules make sense baring in mind that this is a Naim owned, and run, forum. I think you need to protect Naim and its customers and prevent rampant abuse and speculation about products and people.

Having said that… The HiFi world has always been full of speculation, nutters, equipment modifications and a certain degree of lunacy. It’s part of what makes it all fun. A bit of a shame that we live in such a politically correct world. However I guess that’s life… and it makes sense.

Right… Back to topic…

I have a Nova and a pair of 25 year old Audiovector M3 speakers. They are still pretty good, but need a fair amount of volume to become usable. Not so good in a modern living room. I am looking for the best speakers I can afford (up to €4+k I think) but that will sound good at low volume.

I have a room of about 10m by 7m with some big windows etc. I also need the speakers to be able to “look” over a dinning room table (I know… not good). I guess this means that they need to be fairly tall.

I would struggle to be able to go and listen at a dealer. Very little time, although it would be fun.

Any thoughts? Dali?

I’d try DBL’s. They will be higher than your dining table.

Where can I find out more about DBLs?

Err….here…Ask away, there is plenty of knowledge about DBL’s across the forum and one or two current owners too.

Sorry Nigel… Hasty reply from cell phone. What I meant to ask is where can I get hold of DBLs? They don’s seem to be made any more. The web is very thin on this…

Yes Thomas, Naim stopped making DBLs many years ago, but some maintain they are the best for top notch Naim gear. They are still available pre loved in the UK but are rare.

You are rampant after a few days with no posts…thought you had gone to pink fish

What me?….never…

I have been posting a bit on the Music Room but have mostly been observing Hi-Fi Corner recently.

1 Like

Harbeth on tall stands

Does anyone have experience of tweeter damage on Dynaudios? I received some s/h Focus speakers and the tweeters were dented as per photo on arrival - plus a chipped rear corner where I guess they took a fall at some point en route. With some gentle mouth pressure I’ve managed to get tweeters back to shape, and on first listen they sound ok.

So my question to the Dynaudio owners and speaker experts here is whether it’s worth renegotiating with the seller to take a risk given what’s happened to the tweeter domes, or return them for a refund. Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

I can’t speak for Dynaudio specifically, but in the past I’ve has speakers where the tweeter dome has been pushed in, and once repaired, haven’t felt that the sound was affected by it. Years later, the speakers continued to function normally. Cosmetically, they did still look imperfect though, so if yours do too, I guess that’s a matter to take up with the seller.