Naim and Dynaudio Thread

Yes I know, the speaker placement is not ideal.

But I must say the set up sounds great and certainly not uneven.
The big problems I had were the reflections of the marble floor and the back wall. Those reflections resulted in a shrill sound which was really tiring. I solved these two by placing a big rug on the floor, getting a bigger couch and by placing a big acoustically treated painting on the back wall.

Just hooked up my new to me Excite X14 to my Qute. Fantastic system.

2 Likes

The only parts of the two systems I have owned in the past year (and also all the different boxes Iā€™ve tried) that Iā€™ve stubbornly kept is the body of my LP12 and my Dynaudio speakers they are too big for my room have been used mostly under powered but they sound fantastic. Last night on the end of a Uniti Mk 1 playing music via Tidal they sounded fantastic again.
Iā€™ve only owned three sets of Dynaudios X12, X32 and now Contour S3.4s the Contours Iā€™ve used with 282/250-2, 282/250DR, 282/300, 102/180, 72/180, 82/250 and lastly an 82 with a non Naim power amp sources where always an LP12 and various streamers feeding a Chord Dac. The Contours got the absolute best of each and every component I used and have never faltered, yes Iā€™ve had some issues when playing them very loud and some bass boom but IMO there are compromises to be made with all speakers because of the rooms they inhabit and compared to good bits they are issues Iā€™m prepared to live with.
We are in the process of buying a little holiday home at the moment which is why my last system got sold but I donā€™t feel Iā€™m missing out at all and at some point Iā€™ll hopefully build another system around these fantastic speakers I may even try something very powerful not from Naim next time around.

Always among the best sounds (if not the best) at the Bristol show is Naim electronics into Dynaudio speakers.

If I didnā€™t already have Sibblesā€¦

3 Likes

Hello

Had own an supernait with Dynaudio contour 1.3se. They are fantastic speaker and the match with the supernait was really good. That was one of my favorite setup with cd5 as source (plus audiomat dac an streaming solution).

I have left this system to try some other manufacturer (audiomat, asr, jadis, vecteur, spendor, tannoy,ā€¦)ā€¦ To finaly return to naim stuff with 202/200/hc. Which I traded for a naim nova and dynaudio contour 2.8, a fantastic speaker with ester tweeter (itā€™s really a big improvement on sound)

Helle Bob,

I saw you go the downgrade way to old Naim pre and amp. I am planning to add a power amp to my Naim Nova and I looking for a nap 250. As I know Dynaudio love power, Iā€™m questioning about hypex power amp or YBA to go with the nova.

Which amp are you using or have you tried with the Dynaudio ?

I have never really heard the two brands playing together other than at Lindsay Milneā€™s.

However this is a system I would have really loved to hear.

I have always believed Dynaudios need plenty of current to get them to sing and nothing could be better than the statement.

2 Likes

Hi Alex
Iā€™ve used a 300, 180, 250, 250DR a non Naim amp Iā€™m not allowed to mention, a UnitiQute and now a Uniti Mk 1 which has a surprising 90 watts into 4ohms but the best was the 250DR.

Iā€™m not a Dynaudio user but a friend has Contour s5.4. Iā€™d like him to give Naim a try but I suspect they need something closer to a 500 to get them moving. Certainly Iā€™ve only ever seen them paired with a 500.

As thatā€™s out of his price range, heā€™s gone all in with second hand Accuphase amps after a long series of upgrades. Apparently Accuphase and Dynaudio work pretty well together.

Be interested to know if anyone had experience with the s5.4 and less than a NAP500 though.

You donā€™t need 500 series to get those to sing. Lol. A SN2 will get those going. Hell a Qute will drive them but not to concert levels. That said Iā€™m sure the Accuphase sounds superb with them.

Iā€™ve used a 250DR with a pair of S3.4 and now a pair of Confidence C2. I suspect the S5.4 donā€™t need a 500 and the 250DR would work just fine.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

Which was the non naim amp rƩfƩrence ?

Running Contour 60s here with NAP 300, a very good match. I have no doubt that they would also run fine with NAP 250. The newer Contours have higher sensitivity that older units such as Contour 1.8 Mk 2.

I have NAP250DR feeding my Contour s5.4 and the sound is wonderful. And Tidal has been behaving today.

2 Likes

The manufacturer of this amp has asked that his products not be discussed on the Naim Forum and so if I did tell you this post would be removed.
When I bought my Dynaudios they where being played with a Hegel amp which sounded really good.

Who would remove your post? The day users cannot discuss HiFi options in this forum, other than Naim products, is the day it seriously looses value.

Why would a HiFi company not want their products discussed unless they are worried about being compared with others? A reason to question their integrity and quality me thinksā€¦

1 Like

I believe this is probably a specific company who have asked Naim that their products are not discussed here, and Iā€™m sure Naim are more than happy to comply given that this companyā€™s main business is unauthorised mods to Naim boxes, which is also a subject that cannot be discussed here. There is no general ban on discussion of non-Naim products here.

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/forum-rules-please-read-follow/88/4

Specifically this is the section of the rules ā€œA couple of individuals and companies have, in the past, expressed a strong desire not to have either their names mentioned or products discussed on the Naim forum and we are happy to oblige (including here). Any mention of their names or the names of their products will be moderated accordingly.ā€

Great post! Iā€™m happy and impressed about your Dynaudio and Naim setups. Dynaudio Confidence is a dream!

I have Contour 1.4 S bookshelves, driven by a Naim Nait 5i. This incredible integrated is capable of powering Contour bookshelf easily.

1 Like

Itā€™s a double edged sword. I once had a company contact my dealer about something I wrote on the forum (which was mostly positive) and my dealer pass on the concern to me. In that respect, I mentally told them to foxtrot oscar and continued as is.

But for Naim, they would probably prefer to have an unhindered forum but they do exist within a larger community of manufacturers. They are not a consumer advice forum or journalists. So as hardware makers they need to get along with their own community of fellow brands too and keep the competition to the sales numbers rather than other types of animosity. I donā€™t think they are condoning censorship so much as just trying to make sure everyone gets along.

2 Likes