Naim and Dynaudio Thread

Used. 2 months old. No idea.

I believe these are the new style feet. Very similar to Stand 20.

ive been running the 40’s in, altering placement, changing stands and re-integrating my sub over the last few days and am now much happier with the sounds im getting - the treble has always been spot on with the 40’s, i’m getting a better soundstage now and the bass has tightened up, the sub is just assisting the very low frequencies from 40hz down. i still have to tweak the sub’s gain/crossover a little and find a better place for it in my room but im loving things now.
how are you getting on with yours?
pete

3 Likes

Getting on good I think, about 45 hrs up now and running in on a regular diet of Martin Nonstatic to loosen things up! No shortage of bass whatsoever, they’re pretty impressive really. They lack the outright precision and presence of the Spendor A7’s I think but that perhaps comes at a price and the 40’s make up for it with a less fatiguing sound overall. I’m going to connect up the A7’s again tomorrow and see what I think now that I’m used to the 40’s sound

2 Likes

Hi,

I fully agree to your opinion about the Special 40. Did your ever think of adding a subwoofer to your speakers?

Regards
Stephan

Hi Stephan, not sure who your post was aimed towards?
I have had a pair of 40s for 2weeks now, initially we never got on. However, since using a sub to compliment just the lowest frequencies, I am loving what I hear! The tweeter is easily a step up from that on my Spendor a6.
Pete

1 Like

Hi Pete, I intended to answer to SJT. Nevertheless I made a similar expierience. After six weeks with the special 40 I added a DB3D and soon I discovered what I have been missing :blush:

2 Likes

I have not thought of adding a subwoofer - in my room I already get enough bass and the S40s go low enough in frequency for my purposes. The bass I get is strong and powerful - I can feel the pressure waves coming across the room.

2 Likes

I think it depends on what music one listens to. For rock or pop I was fine even w/o sub but when the music is only features a few instruments I missed the emotional details. I think it‘s a Kind of psycho-acoustical aspect when you dont hear the sub distinktivly but you miss it when its switched off

I listen to acoustic jazz and classical mostly. I have a pair of REL subs with my C2s. When I upgraded from Contour S3.4 I didn’t even consider taking the subs out of the setup. It’s not so much about having more bass as it is about adding bass extension that supports and improves the rest of the range too.

When I first got a sub, my wife was opposed to it. I brought one home to audition. Once I had it reasonably dialed in, I played the Bach Solo Sonatas and Partitas for Violin for my wife. After she settled in to enjoy the solo violin I turned the sub off. She asked me what happened. I asked her to describe what she experienced. She said the soundstage dropped out and the violin lost some of its woody texture. We kept that sub (which is since upgraded and paired with a second).

5 Likes

One question about your Setup: what Crossover frequency dir you apply?

Hi Stephan, I’m still fine tuning the crossover point on my sub. The range I have is 40hz - 120hz and its currently set at 50hz.
How about you?
Pete

Hi Pete
Still in Progress :joy:
One day I think that 100Hz is suitable, today I applied 60Hz because the sub seemed to dominant and to cover DS40

Cant tell you what I apply tomorrow :joy:

Regards
Stephan

Hi again, this sounds like me lol :joy:
One thing I did find useful was to unplug the 40s, leaving just the sub playing, to hear exactly what the sub was outputting.
Pete

1 Like

Oh, that sounds like a good idea, thank you! What Music do you use for your fine tuning Sessions?

:wink::+1:
I listen to a lot of electronic music and some hip hop, both tend to have varied, deep bass and are great for fine tuning.
Aquemini by Outkast
Immunity by Jon Hopkins
Mezzanine by Massive Attack
Rythym + Stealth by Leftfield
All great options.
What do you use?
Pete

1 Like

Just had a short listen to evoke 30’s
My first impression was based more on their size - even knowing the measurements, they appeared much smaller than I expected. The pair was new and not broken in - backed up to a wall and large chest in-between. Even so, soundstage and separation were very good. Don’t know how they would sound compared to my harbeth 30.1. They were in black gloss and definitely something I would consider. Has anyone else heard them?

The Finishing by Stavroz
Full Moon in Paris by Amber Rubarth
Melt by Leftfield
Master blaster by Jen Chapin
Only to Name a few :blush:

I ordered The Black Box #1 by Naim Records I wonder whats Inside :blush:

1 Like

Yep I’ve heard them, wasent impressed to be honest, thought they were a little lifeless but to be fair they were very fresh

@Hollow did you get around to hooking your a7’s back up? if so, how do they compare? also, what max volume do you listen at on your nova?

@StephanP what max volume do you listen at on your naim?

thanks, pete