Naim and Nakamichi (again)

Hooray! My Nakamichi BX-125E has been restored to full working order! It must be 30+ years old, purchased to replace an Aiwa/Akai (can’t recall) 3 headed deck which was burgled. So now I’ve got two functioning Nakamichis (BX 125-E, DR-3) Here are a couple of pictures of where they’re slotted in. I now find myself yearning for a reel-to-reel, but I know it’s just nostalgia. Love and hugs to all, Stevie xx

13 Likes

Nice decks. Should serve you well for many years!

1 Like

Nice decks.

Can you get some separation between them, rather than stacking on each other?

Naim equipment does prefer its own dedicated shelf.

DG…

2 Likes

Hi DG, it’s not really possible, but thank you for your excellent advice. I don’t think I’m a conventional hi-fi user, and so I quite often sacrifice optimum audio performance for convenience, or just to fit in round my other enthusiasms. My main (active) amplifier isn’t stacked though (NAC 82, HiCap, Snaxo, FlatCap, NAP 250 x 2 into Linn Keildihs), love Stevie xx

2 Likes

Hey, can you please show the back of the device. Always wondered how the recording cable should be connected?

1 Like

I use these Naim/Chord tape patch leads - DIN5 - 4 x RCA Phono - to connect my recorders to a Naim pre-amp. Just be sure to connect to one of the IN/OUT DIN5 inputs on your Naim pre-amp.

3 Likes

I’ve seen this cables before, but where do the rca plugs go?

Most recorders will have two pairs of RCA Phono sockets - one pair for output and another pair for input. The interconnect above has arrows on the black tail ends leading to the RCA Phono plugs which show direction, so one pair (black & red) for input and the other pair (yellow & blue) for output.

2 Likes

I understand, thanx. But still how do I record something on the tape. For example I stream something and hear it over the speakers. How do I tell the amp to now redirect what I’m hearing to the tape?

Your Naim pre-amp will have record circuits that offer up any source onto the record out pins. Some allow you to listen to one source while recording another, or of course you can monitor your actually recording.

Looking at your Profile I see you have a NAIT XS3, in which case you should connect your recorder via the DIN5 to the Stream IN/OUT socket. Your recorder should then receive the output signal of whichever source you choose to record from selected on the NAIT.

You then just need to set your record levels to a suitable level - if you’re using a digital recorder then do NOT exceed 0dB as otherwise it’ll clip and digital clipping is horrible! Many digital recorders only meter up to 0dB and then just have a tell-tale indicator to show that it has been exceeded - see the picture below of my PMD661. If the input level has exceeded 0dB it indicates “OV” in the display.

Then when you’re ready, press record and away you go. Some tape recorders use 3 heads which allow you to monitor your recording off the tape as you record.

1 Like

If I use stream in/out for tape, can I connect my streamer anywhere without losing quality?

Yes, CD or Tuner would be fine.

can I also use the av in/out? I believe aux is only for external turntable stage?

Yes, you can but be careful not to have Unity Gain enabled on that input.

What is unity gain?

It’s how the AV Bypass works. From the Nait XS3 manual;

4.6 AV Bypass

The SUPERNAIT 3 can be integrated within a multi-channel home theatre system, driving the front left and right channel speakers, by engaging its AV Bypass mode. AV Bypass mode enables a home theatre processor to take over volume control of signals connected to the SUPERNAIT 3 av input. It is engaged using the switch on the rear panel. The SUPERNAIT 3 volume control indicator will extinguish when AV Bypass mode is engaged and the av input is selected. The remote handset volume control will also be disabled.

By the way, also from the manual, please take note of this;

4.4 av and stream Outputs

The SUPERNAIT 3 av and stream inputs have associated outputs that enable the selected input signal to be routed externally; to an audio recording component for example.

Note: The av and stream outputs remain active while their corresponding inputs are selected. Take care that a feedback loop is not inadvertently created by the simultaneous selection of input and output.

Thanks, this one I understood. Just have to keep av bypass off.

This one is not as clear. English is not my first language, so maybe is just my failure to understand. But how can I create a loop?

When you have a recorder connected to either the Stream or AV inputs, you should avoid selecting those inputs on the NAIT while recording otherwise you could get a feedback loop.

1 Like