Naim and Spendor Thread

Since we have a Naim and Harbeth thread, a Naim and Dynaudio thread, what about a Naim and Spendor thread? :wink: I’m considering purchasing my first pair of Spendor speakers, but I’m curious as to others Naim/Spendor combinations. As the other treads also say, “this thread can be a single place to put any Spendor-related discussions”.

I’m personally interested in the SN3/D7.2 pairing. Anyone using this combination? This is where I’d like to be in a few months.

3 Likes

I am out of my depth here but I have used Spendor s3 standmounts for 20 years years but now I have entered the world of Naim I am looking to upgrade. The d7.2 are beyond me but I fancy the A2 floorstanders. The problem with Spendor is finding a dealer who can provide home demo. None in my area.

2 Likes

The D7.2 will be a stretch for me as well. I’m torn between them and the A7’s. A7 I could do sooner then use the extra funds for something else, but I’m not sure I’d be satisfied longer term. Ultimate goal would be NAP250DR/NAC272.2(updated hopefully).

1 Like

I recently bought the D7.2s as an upgrade from A4s. A significant improvement in overall presentation and if you like the Spendor clarity then you won’t be disappointed. I also tried the A7s against the A4s using an SN3, the A7s have much better bass than the A4s in my opinion, well worth the extra over the A4s if the D7 is a stretch.

1 Like

Thanks @ChrisJH I’ve heard both the A7’s and D7.2 albeit briefly. D7.2 were even more magical IMHO, more sparkle I suppose. I’m looking forward to a more extended session with both.

I wanted to listen to the D7.2 last Saturday, but the shop I went to only had the A-models. I quite liked the A7s, but I just have to hear the D7.2 too. Before I can decide if I go the Spendor or Dynaudio way.

1 Like

I bought a pair of A4’s for second system a few weeks ago, compared them to quite a few alternatives at their price point, very happy with them they compare favourably to my PMC Twenty 5 23’s.

2 Likes

Yes I really liked what I heard from both of them, but I need to have an extended listen to both. Either one will make me happy. I could pickup a turntable with the extra if I go for the A7’s but I’m firmly into streaming now.

PMC speakers are on my list to review as well, but right now I’m just overjoyed w/the Spendors that I heard

I had Spendor D7s on my system for 6 months. At that time I was running CD5XS & Uniti Core with nDAC/555PSDR into SN2 with Hicap DR. I enjoyed them but I found them fatiguing to listen to over long periods. Also they were not great for all types of music, so since sold them on.

I’d be interested to hear whether 7.2 sound different to the original version.

3 Likes

Have had S3-5R2’s in service for several years now. Running with 272/200. Would like to explore floorstanders at some point but baby Spendors are so nice to listen to! Current equivalent model looks to be A1 now…

2 Likes

I’ve read about the previous version being a little fatiguing. Fortuneatly for me I’m just coming to Spendor speakers. The latest versions are all I know.

Never heard the seven but have the nine. They are not fatiguing to my ears at least. Great speakers.

Now playing ndx, 82, Hicap dr and 250dr

1 Like

They must be a big step up from the A2s? I listened to a pair of them against my Rogers LS2s from 1986 and there wasn’t much in it. I eventually settled on the PMC twenty5 22 and they blow my old LS2s away

1 Like

I listened to the A2, A4 and A7’s, whilst an improvement as you go up price/range I didn’t think the gap was massive. I would think what you choose will be room/amp dependent.

2 Likes

Makes sense with the Room/Amp. I’ll be coming from a SN3 but hopefully over time I’ll end up with a NAP250DR. A7 or D7.2 are my targets for the Spendor range and my budget

2 Likes

I would think the SN3 will do justice to either of theses speakers.

1 Like

Just general thought on Spendor, My first pair of serious speakers we the lovely SE6e, love the way Spendor are voiced and the relaxed way they produce their sound, at the time I used NAP 200 which powered them with ease, heard the A7 recently very nice match with Naim

For me they are a must to be inc when demo new speakers

2 Likes

I’m counting on it for the next year or so until Naim updates the NAC272!

Enjoying my A7 with my 252/ SCdr and 300 dr
Working well together

3 Likes