Naim and Spendor Thread

Next Level Audio in Chicago sell Kudos.
I bought Titan T88s from Tyler, the owner.
Fantastic with my (mostly) Olive Naim set up.
Mostly means I just purchased a demo XPSDr from same Tyler.
The Titans are wonderful loudspeakers - very organic and musical.
I bought them site unseen based on recommendation of ears that I trusted. They were second hand so less financial risk.
Here they are in situ:

David

8 Likes

Spectacular! I’m a little nervous buying without an audition. Alaska to Chicago is a trip I don’t want to make right now(due to coronavirus). Tyler has been very nice to me over email and I’m sure he’s a great resource. I really do want to audition Kudos. The Titan line apparently is a great, albeit a little out of my price-range for now, and I’ll likely start thinking about upgrading my Source/pre.

second hand would be savings…
ask tyler

1 Like

I am still being surprised by the synergy between my A4’s ,SN2 ,ND5XS and A23 Speaker Cables. I don’t have a large listening area and am sitting about 2.5m in front of the speakers. It all sounds sublime. Plenty of headroom while in other parts of the lounge area too.

3 Likes

Once the Covid-19 crisis is over I’ll likely take another audition. To save money I’ll likely end up with the A7’s. Synergy/balance is important. Sounds like you have it in spades.

1 Like

I’m thinking the A23’s are also a big part of it. Judging by a short lived trial with other I/C’s that ended up with me going back to the grey Naim’s I 'd expect the naim speaker cables to contribute to synergy as well. The A4’s I have on felt pads due to the hard floors and they work well for my ears.

1 Like

I became a Spendor owner recently since I bought second-hand Spendor ST speakers.
I’m partnering them with Supernait 2 and Chord Hugo.

ST’s seem to be very neutral, and for sure a significant step forward after Linn Majik 140. Still, I also loved the synergies in Naim-Linn combo.

3 Likes

Congratulations and welcome! It’s a really nice forum.

1 Like

Zach, welcome to the forum… enjoy the journey!

2 Likes

The A2’s are brilliant , really fast and articulate. I initially thought that with them being so compact , they wouldn’t satisfy with bass extension. They don’t disappoint , build quality is what you’d expect from spendor , the satin white finish looks really fresh and the better the front end you have , the more depth and soundstage you receive. Took a while to run in, but just give them time. I am more than satisfied with them. Highly recommend .

2 Likes

3 Likes

You certainly won’t get the best out of them stuffed in a corner, bring them out in to the room a bit.

5 Likes

I had Spendor S5e’s, SR5 and C5e for about +10 years. The S5e’s were fantastic, really suited the extra power a Supernait gives. As a surround set, all matched sounds and perfectly suited.

3 Likes

Can’t mate, not until she’s out :rofl:

2 Likes

Well a changing of the guard as sold my 2/3E’s and out of the blue a pair of mint Zebrano SA1’s came up on used market. Scooped them up and very much impressed. Also had a pair of 3/5’s on hand and very different voicing but could only keep one so the 3/5’s went off to a new home.

Hard to describe SA1 sound other than a very musical speaker and more modern sound than the 3/5. When you first sit down for a listen you notice an overall lightness to the sound, not small sounding at all, but within seconds you no longer notice this trait and just get immersed in the music. Sounds very good with 72/Hicap/140 but most of time spent with Audiomat Arpege Reference. Have been playing with stand filling…wish the original stands were also available but are even rarer than speaker in my area. Very, very happy with SA1’s as needed a speaker for my small room and these have exceeded every expectation.

3 Likes

Torque for spendor speakers A series .

you can nip them up to be snug, but there is in fact a correct torque setting for the driver bolts - to maintain best performance, Spendor recommends periodic checking & retorquing of these bolts
Once the bolts are set to their correct torque setting, the effect will be akin to setting a camera lens to very fine focus - the image you form while listening will become more precise

For 3mm head size/M4 thread fixings (tweeters) set to 1.3Nm; for 4mm head size/M5 thread (woofers) set to 3.5Nm (bear in mind the Kamasa tool quotes +/- 10% accuracy!)

Hi, couldn’t agree more, I still run S5e’s with a SN2 and they are a perfect match.

1 Like

Well the crisis isn’t over yet, (Especially for those of us in the States) but I’m going to demo a pair of A7’s and try the ProAc D2r(I think). Not really sure what to expect but I can finally get out of the house. Primarily musical taste is Jazz(piano, female singers, Coltrane) I don’t mind modern music either. 70’s R&B/Soul and Classic Rock would be next, followed by Top 100 classical but I don’t know much beyond that.

1 Like

The d7.2 has great reviews. Anyone have them yet? Looking to upgrade and these are tops on list. No place to listen to them, here in Tampa.

Where are you located davidf? Been going through Tyler for upgrades and Ansuz goods In the past years. I am originally from the Naperville / Aurora area.

Scott