Naim App and iOS 16

I run iOS16 and to date had no issues.

The app on my iPad and on my Mac both work perfectly. The app on my iPhone with iOS 16 is slow to really slow to see the servers (seems a bit faster this morning. Took 15s or so just now)

Hi all,

Thanks for the reports on here - we are investigating as we speak.

Many thanks,
Will

10 Likes

Yes roon works like a champ in ios 16 and 16.1. And the next version will have a big surprise.

2 Likes

I have updated my iphone 12 pro max to ios 16, yesterday. I can no longer access my minidlna server using the naim app or any other upnp client on my iphone. My wife’s iphone XS pro max on ios 15 is ok. I have restarted my phone, reset network settings on the phone, restarted my minidlna server, restarted naim nds, uninstalled the naim app, reset the naim app, restarted my nokia fibre router. My LG TV, VLC on my macbook and wife’s iphone can all access the minidlna server. I think it’s an IOS 16 issue where it is not detecting upnp servers.

Just checked it over here as well on my iPhone 13 with iOS16. Network access for the Naim app is turned on, but I cannot access the music on my Synology NAS anymore from the Naim app (public release version).

However, I can access the music on the Synology using the mConnect app. So it seems an incompatibility between the Naim app and iOS16.

BR,
Richard

Hi all,

The issue appears to be caused by iOS blocking UPnP discovery packets. This affects some other apps as well as Naim App. We are still working to see what can be done to improve things.

Users of legacy streamers (green screened Uniti and Steamers and first generation Mu-so) can work around this by enabling UPnP compatibility mode in Input Settings → UPnP.

Kind regards,
Will

6 Likes

Updated iPhone XR yesterday. No issues with it and Uniti Atom. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Updated this morning, XR, no joy :unamused: I knew there was a reason I kept my little Yamaha WXAD-10, works a treat.

No issues with iphone 11 and NDX.
Everything working normally.

Roon is ok. I am using it without any issues.
Though I’m facing the same issues with the Naim App and uPnP disappear.

1 Like

15.7 taking an age to update. Hope I’ve not bricked my (2015) iPad.

G

1 Like

I had read Apple wants to revise how protocols like Chromecast are implemented. (Not giving each app access to the „raw“ network interface, but have e.g. Google provide a verified and encapsulated plugin for iOS which then can be used by apps via a dedicated API.)
Any chance they threw UPnP into this pot or started API changes here as well?

Edit: Ah - sorry. It only seems to be for cases, where you don’t want to grant an app local network or Bluetooth access. And for „streaming“, not „media access“.

I have put IOS 16 on a spare iPhone XS and the Naim app has no problem with working with upnp on my UnitiCore.

I mention it because no one has so far said that the Naim app won’t work with UnitiCore in IOS 16, so I thought some people here might be interested.

2 Likes

Good to know thanks David, I’ll give it a go now.

iPhone 12 updated all OK on my Naim Core I do have a Synology NAS which is never used so I have switch it on to test and that works all OK as well.

I am experiencing the same challenge. My two Synology NAS units are up to date. My iPad is still on older iOS and showing both NAS devices on the Naim app, but iPhone (on iOS 16) is showing neither.

Hi Will

On my NdS screen I can see the old synology NAS but not the lates Synology NAS.

I can see both NAS on iPad Naim app (not updated to iOS 16) while on my phone (iOS 16) I can not see the latest Synology NAS despite compatibility mode.

Good news ,
was holding back for bugs to show up
Will give it a go
Thanks

This post on the Apple developer forum may help find a fix.