Naim App feature requests

I dislike the volume slider in the naim app using my superuniti. It is not very exact to control. I would prefer +/- buttons. But most important: The current volume value should be displayed in the app. Otherwise you always have to watch the display of the device. Also you first have to change the volume to see the value in the (otherwise too small oder turned off) display. Looking into the app would be quicker.

• Track times should be displayed in library view and in playlists. I help myself by configuring minimserver to add the track times to the title.

• I think this has become better but still is an issue. When entering e.g. an artists folder in the android app and then return to the artist folder via the android back key, the folder scroll position jumps some entries to the top. I would expect to stay at exact the position where I have started from.

• the naim app should support UPnP search.

• The filtering option should not only be visible at the top of the list.

• Not an app thing but a streamer thing: The streamers should support the openhome standard. Also they should support to change the track inline navigation position in a more standard way, so you can fast forward/backward with e.g. the BubbleUPnP app, too.

Greetings
Gert

1 Like

On the Unitis - the ability to put radio stations and playlists in the order you want them as per MuSo, also, a numerical volume readout beside the slider as per Roon

2 Likes

Network is fine, it’s quick enough for most things but seems to take an age to wake the Naim app when the iPad has gone into doze mode and the 272 has settled into not showing anything on the display. I recall the same thing at the dealer when I was demoing the 272; moved the slider about, no response then nearly blew the doors off in the demo room when communication was re-established.

Anyway. How about a filter to find radio stations by bit rate? None of us are going to trouble the 32Kb/s stations, being able to find the higher quality ones would be a nice to have.

• A random or shuffle mode enabling to play through the whole library and not limited to just 500 tracks, just like the Qute or other streamers of the classic range used to allow it (using the remote though). I don’t want to having to choose what I want to play in a very extensive library or having to create thousands of playlist
2 Likes

speaking of shuffle, I find it a bit annoying that shuffle remains on even when you change album or playlist. I’d prefer if it defaulted to off when you change away from whatever is currently playing

2 Likes

Asset certainly has a Jukebox track selection - it’ll select 500 songs at random - and I’m pretty sure it’s a different selection each time.

It’d be better to have this function directly from the naim app, would save me headaches dealing with a 3rd party app.

Hands down for me would be the ability to search by song title.

2 Likes

If your sever is able to present such a list (and it probably can) it will appear in the Naim app as an alphabetical list, which is searchable.

How so Chris? When I am under “Music” I am offered Artists, Albums, Genres, Years, New Music, and Music Folder.

There have been times where I wanted to check out a song that is performed by various artists and I have found I could not - it you can enlighten me I would appreciate it.

He probably meant allowing search by song title from wherever you are within the app (whether in the album, artist or playlist section) across the entire library, which I think too would be really helpful.

Assuming that you mean music stored locally rather than on Tidal etc., your UPnP server will almost certainly have, along with Artists, Albums, etc. a Track list, although this may not be enabled by default. Minimserver and Naim’s Unitiserve certainly have this option, and I’d be surprised if most other servers didn’t offer it too. Have a look in your server settings and you should be able to set it up.

I guess it would save you a couple of clicks, but Naim seem to have a problem implementing any sort of global search (other than a search of Tidal). It would certainly be useful when searching for iRadio stations.
The new streamers can do a global search, but only of the built in server that sees music files on the local USB port, not on other servers on your network.

I’m not at home currently but I think I have a “Title” list in my Naim App for the QNAP.

Sorry, @Bouba, should have made that clearer. Asset is the upnp server software I use, so their Jukebox random track selection is available within the Naim app - that’s all I use. It sounds like you use a different upnp server.

Please add the time for each track in minutes:seconds when displaying the album songs.

Please add some Artist artwork instead of a blank square when on the main page in Artist/Album mode.

This is dependent on your upnp software. Asset does add artwork for this (and it is controllable albeit in a pretty fiddly way).

I’d like to second much of what has been written above. Specifically:

1. Improve app’s volume function: it often lacks responsiveness, is laggy, and often leads to inadvertent overshoots. In short, it is so difficult to use that I avoid it entirely, which is a shame.

2. In fact, the app in general is frequently laggy ie. Takes time to re-establish contact with the ND555 and Core. Doesn’t just happen if the system hasn’t been used for a few hours but also happens often even when the system is in current use. There are no problems with my WiFi / network, I am confident. Naim apps have always, in my lengthy experience, struggled with this problem. It doesn’t seem to be hardware specific (HDX had same issue) and doesn’t seem to be WiFi equipment / LAN-related (I had the same issues when living on a different continent, with a different WiFi system, router, Ethernet switches, computers, network-attached devices, network topology etc).

3. The old app, used with an HDX, * did * have a track search capability. Please bring it back. It is very useful.

4. Make the random and repeat functions turn * off * after the current album or playlist has ended. Persistence of these functions is a pain. Or allow the user to set, in the preferences, how these functions behave.

5. Make it easy to shuffle * all * tracks. Don’t bury this function – make it super quick and easy to access.

4 Likes

If it ain’t broke, it hasn’t got enough features. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Please, just keep it reliable!

A sleep function that works for radio, DAB and iRadio

2 Likes