Naim app is on the “up”… Roon, not so much

I don’t know if it’s the same on iOS but on Android this is fixed by enabling lock screen controls in the settings (at the price of slightly higher battery usage, I think)

1 Like

I use both Tidal and Qobuz and have quite a few local files. Roon’s way of combining these services are just far superior in terms of UX.

And I never have a feeling that the app or the windows client is laggy.

The great elephant in the room gripe though is the complete inaccessibility of the Roon software for users with low or no vision.

As I myself don’t need to use screen readers Roon still gives me a superior experience.

Perhaps some day audio software creators will figure out that screen reader users can be audiophiles too.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve just enabled “keep screen awake”, the “enabling lock stream controls” has that warning about unintended volume outbursts, so a bit more wary about that one……

True, there is that issue on iOS, though it’s an issue in how iOS implements it, not in Roon as such, as far as I remember. Doesn’t help, of course. However, can your phone even control the Roon volume with the NDX2? Mine can’t as the NDX2 is set to fixed volume. In this case I can’t see a problem with volume changes. Would be an issue on Unitis though.

“Keep screen enabled” does it as well, but it really keeps the screen awake all the time if the Roon app is in the foreground. I.e., works the same as the similar setting in the Naim app. This really sucks battery if you forget Roon in the foreground

1 Like

if the naim app or innuos sense take on the ability to continue with ‘radio’ like Roon does when an album has finished then ill ditch it too. Roon radio has led to many new discoveries so loathed to let it go yet…

2 Likes

This would require a server-side solution in order to perform all the pattern matching / machine learning to come up with useful radio choices, it can’t be just added in an app. The streaming services have this of course, but I don’t know if this is accessible to third parties like the Naim app.

This topic has been interesting - hope its still going. I too am slightly irritated by Roon’s worsening in some areas - mainly the search function. However it has improved sound quality for me, and by a very big margin. As I trialled it initially it was clear that using a Mac as a core was no good and a dedicated core is essential. Next, getting rid of the NDX and pouring more money into a DAC was a big advantage with Raspberry pi endpoints for 2 rooms. In my larger room with big Focal 948’s I had a nasty bass boom at about 100hz. Easy to identify the pitch of the problem and very easy to use the DSP to magic the problem away. (So good I wonder why anyone spends money on room treatments). Recently I tried the sample rate conversion and was amazed at the improvement in CD quality recordings as they often sounded as good as hi res now (although logic says this should not be possible). So Roon is a very cost effective and superior SQ answer even if you only have one listening room / end point, but even better if you do.

1 Like

My Mac seems fine for Roon, what benefits did the dedicated Roon Core bring.

Could not agree more. Well said.

Different strokes, different folks as they say and I have not used the Naim app in some years so perhaps it can now doe something like this.

So I want the Beatles tunes that Brad Meldauh (damn I can never figure out how to spell his name) recorded that are available.

Search Brad Me , ah it’s Mehldau,

Choose recordings and focus on composer Paul McCartney

and sure I’d like them in a playlist

I also don’t think any of the connect features streaming platforms could do anything remotely like this.

Obviously we all have different desires for our music software UI and functionality but to suggest Roon has run its course may perhaps be more a reflection on the OPs usage requirements than limitations in Roon itself.

.sjb

3 Likes

I’ve not had problems using a Mac as a Roon core either but I have dedicated an (old) MacMini to this and it is well away from my hifi equipment on another supply.

1 Like

For me its just on and left alone it gave improved response to queries and overall smoother user experience. I use Roons Operating system ROCK on a pc thus making it a dedicated device that runs Roon and only Roon. It’s optimised to do the one job not the multitasks normal pcs do.

Very interesting, currently trying ascertain whether Roon is a route I want to take. But this is the strongest example I’ve seen on the benefits of Roon. (Edit wether to whether - wether means castrated ram. :scream: )

1 Like

Cute :wink:

I probably overstated the case. With the Mac as core it did work OK but there was little improvement in sound quality compared to using my NDX to access music from a NAS drive. Going to “Fanless Roon Rock music Server Intel i7” from Inside Tech gave a much better sound - easier to identify and place different instruments, bigger soundstage etc. Using the Mac would still have enabled the other improvement by by selling the NDX and buying just a DAC as a streamer (apart from raspberry pi) was not needed.

1 Like

Hello @garyi,
On your raspberry(is), which HAT do you have ? Which distro are you using ? RoPieee ?

I currently have three pis in action. One has a 192 DAC on it, but it does not have many markings on and I cannot remember where I got it. On another I have a SPDIF convertor so then its optical out (into a uniti) and finally I have just usb out to a little cambridge audio dac that is then balanced out to a pair of Meridian speakers (this is my shed system and used wayyy more than my main!)

And yes ropiee all the way its just so flexible and plus I have 7in Pi screens connected to two of them to show whats playing and basic controls.

I am really tempted to replace my (just sold) Squeezebox touch with a rasp with the 7"inch screen and a DigiOne Signature HAT as a good transport to feed my DAC on my 2 main system (Chord Qute and nDAC)

Well for me at least its a no brainer. The only issue at the moment is Pi’e seem to be like rocking horse poop.

Assumes you are using Roon though, I have tried other software such as volumio but ropieee with roon is the solution as far as I am concerned.

Ropieee XL which is something you can upgrade in the software then turns it into an Airplay device as well, nice added extra though to be honest I have never found a need to use airplay since I got roon lol.

I still not have chosen my musical server. I did use LMS for more than 12 years.
I was wondering to go for Roon. The price is not cheap (I do prefer the lifetime vs the monthly or yearly pay). You can’t use Roon at 2 different places at the same times (so it is an expensive choice). I have to retest how keep some tags from Roon, but not so straight.
According to you, what are the strength of Roon ?