Naim app is on the “up”… Roon, not so much

I phrased that poorly, essentially I think Roon sounds a little worse than other options I have available. YMMV.

1 Like

Your post sent me searching back through my bank statements to check how much I paid for the lifetime subscription in 2015: $499, which worked out at £338.

I realise that this might not be a tremendously useful post for anyone who didn’t get in early at a decent exchange rate, but heading into my 7th year of largely trouble-free Roon usage, it made me happy that I took the gamble. Thanks for the reminder.

5 Likes

I found that it seems a tiny bit lower volume than the Naim app (even without volume leveling on, but of course more so with most tracks if its on), and if I up the volume by one short press on the 252 remote I can’t hear a difference. I don’t if (without volume leveling) its volume is really this tiny bit lower, but am satisfied with me not hearing a difference in practice :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s all subjective at the end of the day.

Roon subscription simply seems to be overpriced (Audirvana and others too) to enhance their business model. It’s ultimately controlling playback of your legitimately purchased music or paid for streaming services for a monthly or lifetime fee.

The question is if they perhaps cut the annual subscription by 1/3 (which would make it fairly cheap) would they get 100x, 10x, or no new subscribers?

The cost is simply irrelevant to me, it was 600 euros, same as traveling somewhere for 3 days, 2 years ago, who cares :slight_smile: For me, the question is its features, and it does 100x more for me than just controlling the playback of music. That’s essentially what the Naim app does. Roon manages my complete library from vinyl to CDs to streaming in one place and gives me a lot of insight into its contents.

Of course, it’s useless if one only wants a list of albums and a play button, but it’s just wrong to say that this is all it does

4 Likes

That’s me :grinning:

Yeah, then it’s the wrong tool for you

Not necessarily, I just currently don’t have the time or inclination to ‘deep dive’ into fancy features even if they’re simple in practice.

I’ve supported Roon and may continue to do so as they seem to be a decent company and once refunded my annual subscription when I trashed my Mac based core accidentally. Beyond that with lifestyle cost stressors in all areas, some things will go by the wayside.

That’s another option :slight_smile: I guess it’s nice that this also exists as a way of using Roon without having to jump through hoops.

You can use the same Roon account in different places, unless you want to listen to Roon in more than one place at the same time. It switches very smoothly when you change location and open Roon in the next place. You don’t even need to restart the app in the phone.

For the music files I have two mirrored NAS, they are 350 km away in different countries. Plus I can use Roon with portable devices in any of the core servers and I can easily sync cards, disks, ssds, etc.

Roon the best experience by far for multiple locations and multiple endpoints in my opinion. And I have tested lots of hardware and software.

1 Like

Rafael

I wonder if you’d mind describing your set-up, it sound like just what I need.

At the moment, I have Roon in two different apartments: one on an Innuos Zen Mini and the other on iMac, so I guess I’d need to start from scratch.

I’m not particularly tech-savvy, which I suppose is how I’ve ended up with this arrangement, but I need to address the issue, because having two increasingly diverging Roon databases is only going to get more frustrating.

I have one Roon account.

I listen to music in two locations, in Nice and Milan.

In Nice my Roon Core is in a MacBook and my music files are in a Synology NAS.

In Milan my Roon Core is in a NUC8i3 running Rock with 2 TB SSD memory.

The Synology in Nice and the SSD in Milan are synchronized. If I add a music file to any of them, the file is copied to the other in a few seconds. It is very satisfying to rip CDs in Milan and then play them in Nice from the Added Recent Activity.

I am playing music now in Milan. When I go to Nice tomorrow, the Roon app will ask to unauthorise the Core in Milan before starting to play.

It works flawlessly. From time to time I have to restart the MacBook in Nice. The Core in Milan is a champ, it reboots alone even after power cuts.

I can even play music remotely accessing the local computers with VNC Viewer. From Nice I play love songs for my wife in Milan.

Lately I am experimenting with server position, switches, cables and power supplies. Amazing hobby.

2 Likes

Just set up roon in my sons room, Daphile onto a small form factor PC pointed at roon, and for bonus his squeezebox Boom.

This is why I love roon.

Rafael - thanks very much. I guess I need to get my head round the mirroring thing.

I do.

You could have bought an LPSU for your router for that budget!

And how about the cost and hassle of having a Roon Core running all year round?

I see no reason to get an LPSU, and if I wanted one I would have bought one anyway, the whole system cost 50K, in this context it hardly matters. In any case, Roon gives me infinitely more joy than an LPSU on a freakin’ router would, it’s not even on the same circuit.

The hassle of running Roon Rock on a NUC was limited to turning it on 1.5 years ago. (The Naim app gave me more hassle in a day than Roon in 1.5 years, at a fraction of the usefulness). And on a forum where 8-box Naim systems like mine are running 365/24 as a matter of course, I won’t start fretting about a little NUC.

P.S.: And if I had joy going somewhere for a few days at a cost, it seems a bad strategy to bemoan the money for years. Same here.

5 Likes

“The whole system cost me 50k”. Tells me everything I need to know about Roon and its acolytes. Wish I was so fortunate to be able to drop that on music

Naim’s second tier pre and power costs 50k, without adding speakers and a source. This is the naim forum, how does the above comment tell you everything you need to know about Roon and its acolytes?

A Roon lifetime subscription currently costs about the same as a Naim power line. Some people find both very worth the outlay. But how one extrapolates this into a “tells me everything I need to know” put down is beyond me.

.sjb

And a Muso Qb costs £750. Your point is? If this crass expression of financial superiority is what this forum is all about we should be ashamed.

I have used the Synology apps and Syncthing with very good results.