Naim App on M1 iMac - UPNP problem

I have a Synology NAS which does have some music on it is rarely switched on I just fired it up and the Naim app on my Mac mini M1 picks it up and plays music through my Naim streamer all OK.

Hi, I haven’t actually rebooted the NAS, so could try that. Hadn’t considered it as two other devices, and the streamers themselves pick up NAS.

I’m using a Virgin Media Hub 3, 272 and NDX and NAS are all Ethernet wired back to this.

Thanks for helping.

Hi pcd, thanks for confirming. I never imagined it wouldn’t just work for me either! It is very odd.

Not sure what software the Synology is running but it has not been updated for at least three years.

I was actually thinking of the Mac, but to be honest, it’s probably worth a full reboot with power unplugged for 5 mins of NAS, NDX, Router and Mac.

This will ensure all caches get cleared

You have a feature in Synology DSM that can be set to auto update or tell when an update is available.
However the updates are not supported for older models due to their OS suitability. My DS214 (2014) has been able to go to DSM-7, but the next series release after DSM-7.1 will not be supported with DS214.

Try this.

Thanks, pad, It is running DSM 6.2.4, I think I’m out of other ideas so may go to the DSM7.

Tries shutting everything down, and rooting but no joy. I can write files to the NAS from the Mac no problem, it ia just the name app can’t seem to access it.

Hi Peopp62, I tired this, but I could already write and see the NAS on the Mac no problem. It is just that the naim app can’t. It is very odd because as I understand it all the app does is instruct the streamer to go looking for a source, and I have never had a problem with the iPad or iPhone working the 272 or NDX. …weird.

So frustrating! I understand that streaming from your NAS works fine when using iPhone and iPad for control, not using your Mac. If so, I can only suggest updating the operating systems on the NAS and perhaps the Mac, too. If that doesn’t do it, it may be time to ask Naim.

Roger

Thanks Roger, indeed it is frustrating. I’ll wait until I have some time so not rushing it and do the DSM update. As you say could be one for Naim support. I’ll update here if I make any progress.
Cheers.

Looks like a problem related to Mac OS and particularly the M1 chip. I found in the Roon forum a report of computer crashing while Roon was scanning a music library on a NAS. Maybe there is a connectivity problem between Mac OS and Synology DSM.I never experienced this kind of problem. I run a late 2014 Mac mini (intel) and Monterey. My music library is on a old Synology nas with DSM 7. Roon, Audirvana and Apple Music works seamlessly with that library. Maybe some app are not fully compatible with the new apple chip.

Thanks Peppo62, yes it could be something like that. At least I can still operate both streamers fro the Mac which is still handy. I just have to start an album with another device first if I want to use the NAS. iRadio and Tidal are fine.

:+1:

Just as an update, I have updated the Synology DS118 with DSM 7 and Asset to 7.4

The naim app on the Mac still doesn’t find the Synology NAS. All working on other devices. (I seem to have lost custom browsing configurations and I’m on a 30 day free trial? but apart from that all working as before).

So back to the drawing board…

Really sorry we couldn’t get you working - will keep thinking …

Many thanks, I have at least spent a few useful hours getting the browse tree to work to my liking. I had quite a few odd things in the metadata of albums that I have needed to fix for a long time. All done now. Also an OS update to 12.4 but still no luck with the main problem.

Sorry if these suggestions have been made already:

1 - Have you set up any Firewall rules on the M1 Mini which might cause an issue?
2 - How simple is your network? Just a modem/router or do you maybe have multiple switches/access points too (my situation)?
3 - Assume you’ve rebooted the router or modem/router.

I also have an M1 Mini, but don’t currently have a NAS configured on the network. Will dig around and find one at some stage to see if the Mini can detect it via Naim app.

Best

AC

Hi AC, all help appreciated!

1. I have not set up any specific firewalls, but keep in mind the NAS appears on my desktop, I can read and write to it, and I can start an album from the streamer and it appears as playing in the Naim app on the iMac.
  2. Very simple, Virgin media hub3, network cables from hub to 272, NDX and Synology.
  3. Yes.