Naim Ariva Speakers

I imagine it will depend on the size and shape of the room. Ours is 4.5m by 3.6m and the only sensible place for the speakers is on the long wall. However, that means the sofa has to go against the opposite wall, which means sitting near the wall and potentially being impacted by reflections.

I’ve listened to people’s systems where the speakers are on the short wall at the end of a long thin room and there is a clear effect of the sound coming down a tube, possibly because the speakers are then too close to side walls, which can give a shut-in effect. But if that room is too narrow, placing speakers on the long wall isn’t really practical, so it’s a case of making the best of what you have.

1 Like

Perfectly clear and sensible, thanks. By the way, my speakers sits against a 3.85 mt. wall firing across a 6.5 length, with an extra opening on the left side. That is the reason why Sats, IBLs and SBLs are perfect in that position but Arivas and S-400s were not.

Other than that, I also loved both the latter.

1 Like

I have a pair, the drivers were replaced last year. I can confirm that the bass is truly seismic in our room.

:slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

Is there perhaps a relation between the two things…?
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Arivas use the floor for bass frequency boundary reinforcement. Away from walls they still have lots of low end but the soundstage improves. I auditioned mine in an olive NAC/NAP system and was very impressed. Even with my Uniti they sound great.
I also have SBLs. They have more detail, better dynamics (I mean percussive instruments have better attack and texture) and much more controlled bass though less of it. To my aging ears though they are a bit harsh.
Naim speakers do seem to improve with better electronics behind them but my experience is limited.

3 Likes

Despite the snark above, I own a pair of Arivas and several pairs of B&W speakers. They’re different, sure, but both are great.

Mark

1 Like

Can you say a bit more about this?

Why did you do it?

Who did the work for you?

Where did you get the drivers?

Did you replace all three?

How long did they take to run in?

Did they sound definitively better after the new drivers settled in?

Thanks
James

1 Like

Great speakers, despite some opinions…
Had them for several years and truly gave attack, bass and PRAT in spades.
YMMV, of course :slight_smile:

1 Like

I bought a pair last year to replace some Kudos X2. X2’s were good but a bit shouty in my room. I hesitated to buy the Arivas because of some opinions I read online but I do not regret buying them. They are driven by Nait XS/flatcap 2x and they sound great!

Well the 6 drivers were obtained from Naim and replaced by our local Audio T.

Price was a very reasonable £200.

They appeared to work fine from the outset, although since the previous drivers were ‘on their way out’ it’s difficult to be definitive about this.

So thank you Naim and Audio T.

3 Likes

That sounds like a bit of a result.

May I ask what the problem was with the drivers? I have had a pair since 2004 and as far as I can tell with my cloth ears they sound as good as when they were new.

They were all ‘blown out’, the speakers have had pretty heavy use since 2007.

Satisfied owner of Ariva. Suggest to a friend instead of the old B&W CM9 s2. I believe that the transition gave an overall better result. Maximum attention to positioning! You’ll get more articulate bass and speed but only when the track calls for it. You will have the impression that the highs are no longer as before but in a short time you will understand that it was an artifice of the B&W, here too you will get highs when the file actually provides them. In short the Ariva have a full sound across the entire range providing better bass and more natural highs.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.