Naim audio interview

An interesting interview and I thought Charlie Henderson came across well.

A small point, but I did think that his interviewers might have sat alongside or in front of him, rather than behind the sofa he was sitting on. Don’t think I’ve seen an interview before where the subject has to turn round and chat to questioners behind them! Maybe that was done so that the Statement amp provided the backdrop.

3 Likes

I would have put a big soft light camera right too.

1 Like

A few sandwiches, glass of water, cat to stroke, maybe comedy sunglasses, false beard…

2 Likes

what did you thought of the interview: academic, without surprise, interesting or else ?

3 Likes

I watched a couple of minutes, got bored, and turned it off. Dull, dull, dull.

5 Likes

It’s entirely the fault of the interviewer who didn’t really engage with his job properly. His sycophantic simpering off-camera was quite embarrassing. But presumably it’s what his readers/viewers want.

You can’t fault Charlie for what he said, given the unpromising questions he had to work with.

Best

David

2 Likes

Charlie is a good guy. He was at Motorola when I joined ten years ago and was very well thought of.

1 Like

Indeed, couldn’t agree more, but who agreed for it to be released, better say nothing than that.

2 Likes

I totally agree: it’s like one of those re-released albums with ‘bonus’ tracks which once heard need more explanation as to why they weren’t picked for the original album. I’ve mailed Charlie a few times and he does seem genuinely a really nice guy. It’s a shame the interview doesn’t get to the passion that is behind Naim. I’ll try to sit through the whole thing and see if it improves towards the end. Maybe it could be edited down to a single rather than a track from Tales From Topographic Oceans. (Just to burnish my tarnished credentials among the prog fans…)

We’re an understanding bunch really.

I thought the interview was fine and he showed a real and honest understanding of the market, which I found refreshing.

2 Likes

Not sure what else he could say…he has done some changes like bringing back instruction manuals, changed the lobby and demo room. I am sure there are probably some other more significant changes to what is being developed that we will have to wait a few years to hear and judge. One of the moans on the forum has been the lack of communication by Naim, so i took the interview at face value, the guy seems genuine and is reaching out. Could it have been better, probably, but better than the nothing we have had in the past.

4 Likes

I hope those who get/have had the privilege of a tour of the HQ show a bit more grace face to face, so to speak.

5 Likes

Having watched all the way through I was struck by a comment at the end - something about how people spend their lives upgrading and how that can become an obsession and that that is a ‘beautiful thing’. Hopefully I’ll get to visit the factory soon and have a chat with Charlie in person.

4 Likes

Great interview. :+1:

3 Likes

Nice interview, I really enjoyed it. Especially the segment on head-phones, I’m old school which prefer my music without the head-phones. With that being said, what happens when one leaves their home and steps outside their car.

Modern technology, the FR just interrupted a call I was listening to in the dark! LOL☺

Politics!

Enjoy Your Music, The Why!

Allante93!

4 Likes

Yes fine if a tad slow–the British way but courteous and interesting taken on the Audio scene. I own the Cd555/PSU setup but did not get a manual–I asked the dealer 2 years ago he said "yes he’d organise "
as of Oct 019–nix nada-- totally useless there!
I actually called the Agent spoke to Aaron(?) --“yes I’ll get my boss to send one when he returns from Munich”–that was 2017 as of Oct 019–nix nada.
I’m considering selling my Naim setup, with no dealer /agent support I cannot afford to worry re service /etc
–sad for a top brand to forget their loyal customers.

Diver41

Sorry to hear that Diver, and welcome to the forum. I’m a bit surprised that the dealer didn’t come through for you. maybe it just slipped their mind - perhaps you just need to give them a nudge? Otherwise, Chris Murphy is normally most diligent about these things and although Naim have now changed distribution for Australia, he still covers NZ and I’m sure if you remind him he’ll be able to sort something out for you.

You can find it on on the Nain website under Customer Support. There’s a whole list of manuals there inc the CD555.

1 Like

Thank you Richard and MDS-- Yes well Busisoft (?) the “new” distributor from reports is missing in action
but will see if any better than the previous. Yes I had to download the manuals but don’t you hate it when you purchase a hi end product to find a none at all or horrors!–a Photostat manual stapled together ?. With Naim total presentation is part of the mana --just my opinion.
Thank you for the welcome Richard–I was member before the changeover and participated there.

D41

Agreed thought Chris and the gang were hands on, it’ll interesting to see how the new distributor in Aus handles Naim. They also carry a lot of other stuff so I doubt it’ll be as personal as it was.

1 Like