Naim CD hierarchy

A CD transport has no DAC. So it needs to be connected to a streamer with a DAC such as NDS or NDX, a preamp with a DAC such as 272 or a separate DAC such as nDAC.

I think you need to do a bit of research as this is quite technical if this is all new to you.

Any CD /DVD /Blu Ray player with a digital output (that means almost all models other than Naim - other than the 2 exceptions noted) … can act as a transport … i.e. it will feed a digital signal to the digital input of your 272. Additionally … there is a family of beasts which are transports and only transports … i.e. CD players with no DAC that have digital outputs ONLY … the theory being that the manufacturer can concentrate all resources on the quality of the digital feed ONLY. But for your circumstances, occasional use etc … I’m sure the first category will be more than fine … i.e. any player with a digital output. Wouldn’t be surprised if you already owned a DVD player … Job done.

My guess is. If you had a cds2/3 you wouldn’t be listening to it occasionally.:heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

This is the thing. If you have a fantastic CD player it can become your main source. My dilemma has been I have a fantastic LP12 and the NDS. Have dipped in and out of high quality CD players with CDS2 and more recently CDS3. If funds are tight I sell the CD player on as it’s the number 3 source. Do I miss it? YES. Will I buy another CD player when funds permit? Ermm, probably. Or maybe a 552 or 500. Lol :rofl:

1 Like

A CD player without a digital to analogue converter

It takes a CD , plays it and sends the raw signal to another machine to convert the signal from digital to analogue .

Absolutely! :grinning:

To be fair, I didn’t actually suggest the OP do anything. It was a reply to @Svetty re how much a used CD555 could be bought for and then I went on to say where I ended up in the Naim CD line up.

Cheers, Rack.

Interested to know how your CD players compared to your NDS sound-wise Dan?

The NDS is better overall sound quality with more detail and dynamics. The CDS3 when paired with a 555PS is very close in sound quality but not quite as good. Still excellent though. The CDS2 with XPS to me was a different story. More like vinyl, warmth and foot tapping. Different character to CDS3 and NDS. Absolutely lovely. Not as detailed as CDS3 or NDS.

The CD5Si is a good choice with a Nait 5Si or maybe an XS amp. When used as front end for an 82, 2 HiCaps and 250CB, it sounded bright and couldn’t listen to it.

The NDS is a beast of a machine and great value. Versatility and superb sound. That’s why it’s stayed and the CD players gone.

2 Likes

Fair enough - I’m sure the OP appreciated the diversion. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks that’s reassuring for a fellow NDS owner.

I tried using an old but decent Technics CD player as a transport into my NDS and I had to admit it sounded better. But the convenience of a one box steamer meant the CD was quickly relegated back to the garage

Buying new CD-transport, there seem to be some available around.
Not that this is my preferred way of playing, but for occasional use this might be all you need.
Tascam do some studio machines, not sure if they are Teac based which have good reputation.
Once I had a Cambridge CXC, popular I know however I didn’t like it, clunky drawer, mediocre sound.

He would if his music is all streamed, from especially if from his own store of ripped CDs or downloaded files, and doesn’t have any or many CDs! The anticipated use may be something like wanting just to play when people visit with CDs…

I would focus on CD555 or CD5si. Naim does not have laser mechs to repair any other CD players and production ceased many years ago. There are some available from China on Ebay but dubious quality. It is sad that Naim cannot support their vintage players, as they are still among the best in sound quality imo.

2 Likes

I had a 3.5 for many years then added a Hi - Cap then about 4 years ago as able to find a mint late CDS / CDPS a magnitude better in every department.

Regards,

Martin

there are plety of replacement laser and drive blocks on ebay for the lower end naim cd players eg CD5X, and if you cant do the install yourself naim probably can.

There are lots that claim to be replacements, but Naim certainly wouldn’t touch them. If it was that simple they wouldn’t have run out themselves. The care with which Naim select components is exhaustive, and many are modified in house before fitting.

3 Likes

Yes agree with your comment Chris

Buyer be aware - go nowhere on these would be my position

I have a CD5SI and really rate it. Once set up properly mine sounds great given the limitations of the media.
I find the issue with CDs is the quality of the mastering, probably only 10% of disks sound anywhere close to vinyl.

1 Like

Quality of the mastering is down to the mastering engineer, not due the limitations of the media.

The mastering of 95% of Classical music releases is fantastic. Go figure. :smiley:

2 Likes

Great if you are into classical, agreed about the mastering engineer, but a dud cd is still a dud cd regardless of the reason. Done figuring