Naim CD2 vs CD3

CD3 is excellent but CD2 is better. Both have the same sonic signature but CD2 sounds bigger with better bass and low level detail. System is Nap 250CB/NAC82/HCCB/SBL/Naca5.
Thanks

My word, that is a blast from the past. Long time since I heard of anyone using a CD2 - cracking player though.

1 Like

Who knows? The CD2 replaced the CDI and the CD3 was the first slimline player. One would expect the 2 to better the 3 of course. If it’s referring to the CDS2 and CDS3 it’s rather pointless, like children saying my mum is better than your mum. So what? ‘I prefer’ is another thing altogether. I prefer the CDS3 to the CD555 but not many agree.

1 Like

CD2 vs CD3 Olive Series CD players with Phillips TDA 1541 S1 DAC. Maybe it was before your time… 1995 era. Superb machines.

2 Likes

I should certainly hope that the CD2 is better than the CD3 - CD2 was a lot more expensive to buy and was the next level up in the range.

However, the CD3 is a favourite - as you say, not as detailed, not quite as extended in the bass, and a bit more coloured too, but in many respects even more fun. The CDM9/44 mechs seem to hold up better than the later linear sled units, with only the platter drop issue being a particular concern (but relatively easily fixed). Considering how little the CD3 sells for, it’s a fine bargain today!

4 Likes

Bought my CD3 brand new in 1995. It blew me away then and continues to this day. Never had an issue with it other than retrieving the puck on a couple of occasions!
Amazing musical player.

1 Like

It is amazing how these twenty years old players sound so much more musical than a modern CDX 2.

3 Likes

I think to be fair to the CDX2, it’s way more neutral and a lot more resolving than the older players; it certainly lacks their colourations, while still remaining a highly engaging player. To that end, much as I love the CD3, it would not be my first choice for playing my classical CDs. But for rock and a fairly big chunk of jazz - oh yes!

I remember all too well bringing home my brand new CD3 in 1996. I used the player heavily for ten years. Even to this day no other source component has quite brought me so much musical fun as a CD3. If Naim still made them today? I would go out right now and purchase one this minute without even battering an eyelid.

3 Likes

That’s the thing. People tell us that new machines are resolving more and start counting the trees while loosing awareness of the forest.

2 Likes

Never heard the CD3, but a recent acquisition of a serviced CD2 has certainly been a great buy…

When my 5x is serviced and up and running again, I wonder which I’ll prefer…or…keep both! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I have compared CD2 to CD5x and CDX2 (bare) and CD2 was far better than both.

2 Likes

My 5X is with Naim getting serviced, then my CD2 will get fixed after I messed it up (don’t trip over the wall mains lead while playing a CD!) - I am looking forward very much to the shootout when they’re both back. I was utterly happy with CD2 and HiLine IC into SN3. Lovely sound.

A friend of mine has a working Cdi my got that thing rocks!

1 Like

Loved the CDi back then
Only sold because scarse spares

Recently I had my CDX serviced, meanwhile playing on a new Rega Apollo, must say this is extremely good, very close, in some ways, even better than my Saturn first gen.

Never came on with the budget CD5i players

1 Like

I was at a friend’s on Saturday listening to his CDi (which was previously mine), and it was as @seakayaker says ‘sounding mighty fine’! I remember that naim changed/updated the transport in it, at some point but I can’t recall when. He had a CD3 in his system before the CDi which sounded very good, but the bigger Olive Box CDi player is definitely better in every area.

2 Likes

I can’t recall the exact dates but the original CDM4Pro mech was changed to a CDM9Pro.

2 Likes

Your post of the new IOS update has wandered off the end of the page they normally stay at the top of the screen for a few days so people notice it?

Thanks. I pinned it up there. Maybe it got unpinned somehow. I’ll investigate…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.