Naim CD3 laser replacement

to confirm, gently prying this grey plastic disc upwards a few millimetres?

Yes, but a few mm is probably way too much unless it’s pushed right down and fouling the mech chassis.

sure. But I don’t need to loosen anything before hand?

No. it’s worth using something like a pair fo spudgers or some guitar picks or something similar to lever up evenly on both sides. Obviously I take no responsibility if it all goes wrong, so if it’s working now, you may want to just leave it be.

i always take ownership, ha. and it WAS working. fired it up this evening an the dreaded Err message reappeared. failing this i’ll send it to one of the recommended repair centres. I want to get the original laser Cable replaced. I’m fairly certain this laser assembly is a Chinese knock off because I just don’t think the sound quality sounds right.

There is a Tech in Toronto that has advertised CD repairs and laser replacement for Naim. However he has not contacted me after my inquiry so I am unsure of his success rate. I am not holding out hope that my CDS3 can be repaired.

It’s a shame that somebody isn’t re-manufacturing parts for these machines as they are excellent quality. generally people have made a financial commitment in them (perhaps also including a CD collection) to make them a totally viable business option long-term.

2 Likes

@Richard.Dane i’m going to send it off to one of the repairers. any idea what size and thread the transport screw on the bottom is? lost mine.

I think it’s the M5 x 15mm transit bolt. This one:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.