Naim CDX2, CDS2, CDS3 or other player

It’s the Dark Magus DAC…

1 Like

I went from a cds2 to nd5xs which was a large backward step in quality - but my long term aim was to get an nds (achieved three years later) which got me back to similar groove/boogie factor that I had had with the cds2. I didn’t like the cdx2 myself when I heard it, but some people prefer that to the cds2

1 Like

FR, be patient . Bluesfan will tell us all in good time. I am watching closely like you :wink::thinking:

1 Like

i had already forgotten about this…but you woke again my curiosity.
For myself i will try to listen to the klimax ds3, perhaps tomorrow.
I will report.

Aha ! Good to re-awaken your curiosity FR :grin:

Now, I am very interested in your reports on klimax ds3. Presently I have no system as it is away for service, so missing my music terribly :disappointed_relieved: Any news on your auditions would be welcome relief​:+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My CDX2 was on Isoblue. Sounded right, not bright.

I’ve decided to go for the CDS2 and XPS olive. The CDS2 has been serviced and has new laser and mechanism. So will be paying for it tomorrow.

It should fit in nicely with my system. So thanks everyone for all the comments and advice.

6 Likes

i will have a listening of the linn ds3 katalyst vs the dcs rossini on the supernait 2 and apertura speakers. It’s a major linn dealer, so not a lot of choices apart linn electronics.
I have an appointment for Tuesday. Will open a new thread for that.

2 Likes

I’ve had a CDS3 for about 10 years. Love it

1 Like

I’ve got the CDS2 and XPS now all set up. It sounds on the same level as the LP12 now and am thrilled with it ! Zoneripper is also set up and sounds very different from the CDS2.

So my system is now complete until the next upgrade urge!

Thanks to everyone for your views and input.

20190605_181800|690x388,50%

3 Likes

7 Likes

It’s a great CD player Dan had one myself for many years, enjoy

1 Like

What a beautiful plinth on that LP12, Dan! I also like the way you have hidden this fantastic system. No need to watch all the silly boxes & cables, but just the enjoyable music.

1 Like

3 Likes

Thanks very much. My system is my pride and joy! The LP12 plinth was originally black but at some point it has been rubbed down and refinished. I do sometimes think about going down the Fraim route but like the fact that I’m not looking at hundreds of cables! I made the TV shelf myself.

It looks lovely Dan, and as someone who used 82/HC/135s for 25 years I know how great it will sound. Just curious, do your 135 fans cut in a lot? I use mine in an oak Hifi Racks rack with little clearance between shelves and the fans tend to cut in after an hour or two unless the room is very cold.

1 Like

Thanks Eoink. I had the 135s serviced very recently after buying them. The fans haven’t cut in as yet despite sometimes driving them hard. There is quite a big gap of about 20cm behind the cabinets for all the cables.

It sounds amazing. The 82 has been serviced as well. I’m loving the system especially with the CDS2 now sounding on a similar level to the lp12.

2 Likes

I’ve had an 82 since new, not had it serviced yet.
I am thinking of getting it done, will I hear a difference ?
I got my 135s serviced a year or two ago and certainly did hear a difference !

1 Like

It’s difficult for me to be sure. I bought the 82 and cb 250 about a year ago. I then changed the 250 to 135s. Shortly after I had the 82 and 135s serviced. When the units came back from service I noticed a big difference straight away. Once burned in after about 4 weeks better still. I found that there was a much cleaner presentation and a more holographic and natural soundstage. The bass is now deeper, mids are more layered and textured and treble sweeter.

So whether this is mainly the 135s or the 82 I am not 100% certain.

1 Like

Ian, I had a similar experience to Dan when I had my 82, 250 and Hicap serviced around 18 months ago. My service was carried out by Class A in Sheffield.

3 Likes