Naim Core back-up storage

Using the excellent Naim Core I have ripped my 1000+ CD collection to the Core and then backed it all up to a Synology DS118 NAS drive. But the metadata does not copy over! Does anyone have a solution for getting the informative metadata copied to the NAS drive?

Did you rip in WAV or FLAC? In my experience, the backup process creates a new store/artist folder structure, with all of the files that I would need to re-import to the Core should I require.

The way Naim ripper/servers store metadata is such that it’s generally not usable in non-Naim servers and clients in WAV. If you had ripped to FLAC you wouldn’t have this problem. Unfortunately I believe the Core, unlike its predecessor, cannot convert WAV to FLAC, so your only option would be to rip the CDs again.
I believe there are now one or two workarounds such as Soundiiz that may be able to add usable Matadata.

To be honest I do not remember whether I ripped in WAV or FLAC. Can I determine that from the CORE ?

Yes. You go to settings - manage music - ripping settings and see which is selected.

Best

David

Many thanks for your help. Fingers crossed that I ripped in FLAC!

When will Naim finally give Core users who have ripped to WAV the option of exporting their data to FLAC without loosing their metadata?

What they are doing is neither fair not what one would expect from a company that cares about customers!

1 Like

If i ever change it will be to Melco, the transfer handles the Naim custom metadata via Songkong…specially developed for ex Naim customers.

As a server, the Melco also has the advantage of supporting MinimServer. This makes it a viable option for collectors of classical music, which the Core isn’t.

1 Like

Fortunately everything was ripped in FLAC. Now how to get the back up complete with Metadata onto the Synology back up drives?

If you tell the Core to back up the Music folder to your Synology NAS, it will back up all of those metadata mods too. But they are only useful if you are going to restore the backups later to a Naim server (a UnitiCore for example or apparently, as described by @Gazza, to a Melco server).

Best

David

I think you are telling me that the metadata cannot be accessed from the NAS except by a Uniticore? How about if I want to take a second backup NAS to a second residence and play from it there - will an Atom or Nova enable me to access the metadata on the NAS or do I need a Core?

I don’t know the answer to that I’m afraid. It’s something to try out and let us know when you do know the answer! Naim support should know though, or would be able to ask someone who does.

Best

David

Easy way to test, assuming your backup NAS is on the network, is to use the Naim app to see if you can access it. That will be your answer (or an answer - doesn’t prove another streamer can access)

I have just got a melco and as the core will be (part funding) the 808s (if they are good enough :crazy_face:) I will have to learn all about songkong and minimserver​:disappointed: Want to explore classical as when I was training as an accountant in the late 80s I borrowed lots of classical from the lending library and started to learn about different recordings of the same piece

My dealer offered to do the heavy work of Core data to Melco some time back when it was not easy. Now Songkong can do this, but i have not taken up the offer as i feel better SQ rather than the Melco versus budget is elsewhere. Melco does not rip without a very expensive ripper or an alternative.

I got an ex demo melco Ripper but it is away at the factory cos it kept opening the drawer. Haven’t paid for it yet though…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.