Naim Core

Good morning.

3 Likes

Covid,shipping,and chips are the standard answer to that one Mike.

2 Likes

Even for Firmware, or maybe it relates to working with a new product :thinking::thinking:

1 Like

We are the red headed step child,no offense to any redheads out there.

Good evening. Miss Mike had her 6am Saturday morning sleep in…….

1 Like

Final scritch scratch of the bunny rabbit before bed. He is moulting for winter (even living indoors)……sits under my legs for hours so i can groom him….i get licked in return….great😬

2 Likes

Well that’s given my inbox a workout.

I bought mine on just after they were announced because I liked what Naim had done with the hard disc arrangement and the power supplies. I’ve never really considered anything else but wondered if I was missing much, seems like the answer might be no.

I did have a problem with the ripping drive refusing to rip or even open without a pin, there was also a rattle when I packed it up for a trip to Salisbury. Naim said they could find nothing wrong but it came back without the rattle and working perfectly.

I also had on occasion the artwork disappearing but a reboot of the router was the cure for this.

I swapped the HD for an SSD and thought the sound improved.

Mostly it just sits there and does its job.

A lot of the issues with classical albums are down to the data bases the Core refers to and the fact they don’t offer an option between a huge box set and the other releases compiled into it. They’re not even self consistent when there’s more than one dicc in the box, manual editing seems the only way.

Happy with my Core also. Running through Qutest. No fuss to set up or use since I hard wired the ethernet. Wifi connection could be a bit hit or miss. Sounds better than the Blusound Node 2i which I suppose it should.

1 Like

WiFi?

Likewise, a long-time Naim server customer (UnitiServe SSD until it kept on disappearing from the network, then replaced with a Core).

I’m disappointed with the functionality gaps between the Serve and Core (mostly the lack of “most played” lists), and there are some things that I consider bugs (or egregious oversights), such as when you change metadata the changes aren’t reflected in the file system itself. For example when an album is mis-identified during ripping, if you change the artist and song titles the metadata is updated but the file names and locations stay the same.

But overall, the sound quality is great, and while I’ve tried to move away with Roon, I keep on coming back to the Core. It’s easy to use, integrates well across all my music streamers here, and just works.

2 Likes

I started using my core with a QNAP NAS.
Things worked but were never brilliant. The NAS seemed to be the problem, and after a couple of years I gave up and put a 2 TB HDD into the core.

I transferred all of my music from the NAS to the core ( long process ) and now things work faultlessly.

Moral of the story is install a HDD or SSD into the core from the beginning.

Nobody who use a simply Nas with Asset at a fraction of the price of Core and with full satisfaction? Is there a comparison between Nas+Linear supply vs Core? All the difference is about the quality of the power supply or somerhing else?

A lot of people use a Nas with Asset and are quite happy with it, but I for one am respecting the request of @Yeti and keeping out of it, and others seem to be doing likewise.

2 Likes

Yeti asked that they should be quiet

2 Likes

Keeping out of it by posting I see….

Merely responding to @damy79

5 Likes

Actually I was interested in comparison between NAS/Core by the people who had the possibility to well compare them and not by people who never try the core. Anyway no issue.

I’ve compared CDs ripped and played via uPNP on my iMac versus the Core and the later is better.

2 Likes

Happy with the Core, it just works. Sounds noticeably better than Tidal Hi-Fi, but I must admit I haven’t compared it to a NAS. I do have an old Synology NAS for non-music duties and find it one of the most annoying and fickle devices I’ve ever owned.

Hi,

Do you intend that you noticed a SQ improvement or that the Core is more convenient ?

1 Like