Naim Dac as upgrade

It’ll be interesting to know whether the naim dac is considered an upgrade to the ndx2…

No . On the old ndx, but not ndx2. It’s like apple and orange.

To get things in proportion, is the Ndac better than the dac in the ND5XS2?

1 Like

Possibly

I asked when I visited Naim whether they felt that an NDX + NDAC would better an NDX2.

There wasn’t a conclusive answer as the comparison hadn’t been done but there was quite a bit of speculation that the superior DAC chips would give the NDAC the edge.

Given that the transport in the NDX2 is better than the NDX it would be an interesting combination to audition.

1 Like

Throw the DAC V1 into the mix as well. What level are we talking about here?

Like the half width size, asynchronous usb and headphone amp as well, but presumably, significantly below the Ndac?

Gardening as a hobby would be so much easier

It’s hard to see how you would use an NDAC with a Superuniti or 272. You can’t take a digital output to an external DAC and feed it back into the same box, so you will have a lot of redundancy.

Not so sure — spent the afternoon in RHS Garden Wisley…

Hi. My issue is that I have 8 digital sources with digital outs, some coax only, some optical, the remainder with both options. The NDAC has enough inputs. Analogue out from the NDAC into an analogue in on the SU and then the Supernait when I get it. Analogue out from the N272 or even a NDX2 into the amp when the SU is replaced.

Am I getting this right — Naim Dac, SN3 and 272? This doesn’t make much sense to me. But maybe I had too much Gin & Tonic with Saint-Saens this evening…

1 Like

Yes, the NDAC makes sense if you need the digital inputs. If you want a Naim streamer, I would look at an ND5XS2 and connect it to the NDAC rather than getting a 272.

1 Like

Yes, if you have an nDac a 272 would be pointless. Much better to get either a SN3 or ideally a 282/250.

Thanks for the advice :smile: I’ve looked at the ND5XS2 and the main issue I have with it is the lack of a screen and a remote. Although the Naim app is very good, I can’t be bothered flaffing around with an iPad or my phone first thing in the morning, hence considering something like the NDX2. Having said that, the ND5XS2 is a lot cheaper and having no screen has the advantage of not having something that might go wrong.

Maybe I’ll try using the iPad/Phone and practice controlling the SU using the app to get used to that method of working :smile:

As the digital out from the streamer would be connected to the Tascam DAT for recording Radio 3 concerts, I would look to connect the streamer to the Supernait via the analogue outputs, although granted going via the NDAC might give better sound quality.

Agree re 272, but I was looking at the SN3 because of the built-in phono stage. The 282 doesn’t have this.

Hi. No you didn’t have too much G & T with your Saint-Saens :smile: I didn’t mean the 272, I meant the NDX2, although that is very expensive and the ND5XS2 might be a better bet.

Ah — I see. SN3 and NDX2 is a great combo, but obviously the NDX2 is somewhat pricey if only used as transport… 8 digital sources?! Gosh — how did you manage to achieve this number?

Judging from all the moaning going on in streaming audio the remote is no great shakes. I only used mine to turn the display off but even that can be done from the app now so the remote is redundant.

1 Like

Yes, the NDX2 would be a costly option, particularly as I mainly listen to BBC Radio 3 on internet radio and only stream Spotify (haven’t tried Tidal yet). I have quite a few CDs and downloads ripped to a hard drive, which is currently connected to the SU’s front USB input.

Digital sources: Oppo BDP-83SE BluRay / Marantz K.I. Pearl Lite SACD / Tascam DAT DA20 & DA30 / Tascam SS-R200 solid state recorder / Panasonic TX-P42 Viera Plasma TV / Pioneer CLD-D925 Laserdisc / Sony MDS-JB940 Minidisc. There is also a Yamaha CDR-HD1300 CD/Hard Drive recorder which is used for making back up copies of DAT tapes and cassettes (when I have the inclination and energy!).

Then there’s the analogue side of things: Beogram 8002 Tangential record deck (I also have a 4002 which is currently undergoing restoration and a Rega Planar 3 with RB300 arm) / Nakamichi Dragon & 680 cassette decks/ and a Sony EL-7 Elcaset (which works okay but could probably do with a service and recapping).

So you see, quite a lot of stuff to cater for. I sometimes tell myself that I could survive just as well on the SU, a hard drive with all my CDs on it and Spotify! But that’s not what this hobby is about, is it?

You should bear in mind that the new streamers cannot use the remote to access the UPnP or Tidal inputs, so they are more dependent on the app.

If you connect to the NDAC, I think you’ll find that the ND5XS2 as a digital transport will sound as good as the NDX2.

I think it depends on whether your hobby is collecting equipment or simply listening to music. If you listen to Radio 3 a lot, and are in the U.K., a Naim tuner would be a revelation.

Thanks for that - I hadn’t realised! That sounds the way to go then: ND5XS2 into the NDAC

Both, in fact. I do listen to Radio 3 a lot. But these days I don’t have access to a decent roof aerial, so I rely on internet radio. Back in the day, I had a Nakamichi ST-7 tuner fed by a decent aerial in a prime reception spot - the results were a revelation!