Naim DAC impressions

nDac is really great Dac I was a bit sad to let it go. Enjoy!

The nds costs nearly the same as a Ndac new at its time.The nds/555dr will never be obsolete as a standalone Dac. With a good transport as Innuos or Melco, connected in spdif, you can have a winning combo.

4 Likes

Oh, the irony - I tried to update the firmware and apparently botched it (more than slightly embarrassing for a former telecom geek!).

Luckily, Flynn at the mothership has sent a USB stick to redo the firmware, so am hopeful once it arrives the nDAC will be back up and running. Another example of the superb service quality from Naim. And at the risk of heresy, I think Julian and Paul would be proud.

There is a rather dramatic difference going back to the Expo 3010S2 CD as an integrated player - still very good, but removing the nDAC threw the differences into sharp relief. A classic example of an ā€œA - B - Aā€ dem!

With the risk of being a bit rude, for which I apologise in advance, I had a slightly different experience with regards to the same topic with Naim support, itā€™s just I wanted to downgrade the firmware on my V1, and I was told there was no pervious version available, at the entire Naim archiveā€¦ I let the people here decide whatā€™s harder, sending something via post or finding a software and sending it via mail. And I am all Naim front end to back end.

1 Like

Why would you want to go back on either DAC firmwares?

Hi Chag, I have already commented the matter on another thread, I think it was on the most recent DAC V1 related one, that I wanted to compare both firmawares. Another forum user shared his experience with the old filrmware and it being more involving, or had a greater ā€œboogieā€ factor, so yes, I wanted to check it out simply out of curiosity. I hope this clears your doubts. cheers

The latest version of V1 and nDac firmware add support for DSD, and also change SS. Many users like it, some did not.

A bit off topic so Iā€™ll be brief. Yes, improving your source and providing more (controlled) power will benefit the GX300s, as with any speaker. If the addition of the nDAC is giving you more bass and it becomes less controlled, then you might have to pull the GX300s out into the room a bit more, although for their size (and the fact that they are rear ported) they offer well-controlled bass in a smaller room. You could also ensure the foam bungs are put into the ports if the bass needs some controlling. If you have lost the bungs, use some rolled up socks. Cotton is far superior to man-made fibres I find - night and day. :grin:

2 Likes

A bit off topic, how are you coping in your pub, presume business is downā€¦must be very concerning. Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks Gazza, yes a tricky time for all in hospitality.

2 Likes

Thank you!

The DAC added bass extension, grip, and authority, with better results in room.

The speakers are about 18" from the wall (back of speaker to wall) and toed in slightly. They are sitting on sections of tile, which noticeably improved clarity. Early days, but so far I think theyā€™re terrific.

I might have to try wool v. cotton for socks if necessary . . . :wink:

PS - And I hope your pub does as well as possible in all the craziness. In Colorado, bars, restaurants, etc., are all shut down for 8 weeks, and are allowed to only provide food via take-out or delivery.

I have a question regarding the power supplies you commented for upgrading the nDAC. For non-dr 555 PS do you refer to the CD 555 PS power supply? Is the difference with it so much better than adding a XPS DR power supply?

Yes, I found the original 555PS to bring the ndac to its full potential.

G

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.