Naim DBL Woofer

Did you use gasket or silicone? Did you experiment so see which is better sounding, my bet is on silicone :).

The silicon , other than providing the air tight seal, also serves to hold the woofer in place. As mentioned by Geko, when you play loud, the bolts will slowly loose their torque.

4 Likes

Hi , does anyone know who is the designer of the DBL ? After spending 25 years with it, itā€™s really hard to find a replacement. I bought a ATC150 last year and sold it within a few months. Costs aside, it just doesnā€™t have the same level of musicality and excitement of the DBLs.

4 Likes

Roy George it was.
I agree,I havenā€™t found any speaker thatā€™s better when it comes to musicality and involvement.

3 Likes

I also agree. Two friends have Ovator 800ā€™s, which can compete, and in some instances, offer a more balanced sound across a broader range of music. However, get DBLā€™s on a good systems playing live jazz or rock and roll and thereā€™s nothing Iā€™ve heard that comes close!

4 Likes

Iā€™ve never heard a system or a speaker that comes close to my 3x500 DBLs.
More hi-fi yes, more music? Nope.

5 Likes

@Einstein come to hear mine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like it would make sense to use threadlock on the bolts, enabling use of a gasket that doesnā€™t cause difficulty with removal at a later date.

As IB suggested thread lock will work but donā€™t go mad with it just in case you need to remove the screws/bolts at a later date, screw lock might be better as itā€™s not so aggressive and helps if itā€™s just vibration thatā€™s causing the fasteners to work loose over time.

Loctite have variable threadlock products from permanent, to requiring a head gun to head the bolt and soften the threadlock to the weakest one, which I use though on binding posts, not drive bolts, which just requires a tad extra force to get moving and is actually for preventing vibrational loosening.

You donā€™t need threadlock on drive unit bolts. Just done up to the required torque is all thatā€™s needed. Itā€™s a loudspeaker, not a motorbike.

2 Likes