Naim desktop client?

OK, progress. It was a win10 share function. I’ve reshared with a new name and everyone acess. I may change that later but for now I can now see and play everything via the US.

The US is obviously pre owned. It has a heap of music on ther that hasn’t been deleted. I want to delete much of it but when I select the tile I only see a greyed out delete and remove from library ‘button’.
How do I delete from the US HD?

Second question is, Can I copy/backup those selections that I would like to keep and play them on the PC- not through the US?

I also think I am going to have to re arrange my music. The US now finds all copies of a piece of music in the master ‘Music’ folder on the PC. Multiple copies now appear under artist or album- mp3, flac, wav, 24 bit etc. I want the album to show just the file types in each album list. Do I have to remain them to albummp3, Albumwav, Albumflac , Album24bit etc?

Thanks for any help.

Hi, you should be aware that you can view the contents of the Music folder and (unless this is a very early model) the Downloads folder using a Mac or PC file browser rather than one of the Naim interfaces.
Here you can copy files from the US to the computer hard drive, a USB drive, or any other location for use on other devices. However, it is essential that you do NOT make any changes to the original files stored on the Unitiserve Music folder in this way, as it will break the database and can cause problems later. This does not apply to files in the Downloads folder, which is where you store any music that did not come from a CD ripped on the Unitiserve.

Yes I see it as a network directory, well two. MQ and downloads, so I can move delete etc via there. I was just concerned in case I had to do it via the US.

Thanks for the info. The manual doesn’t make it very clear.

What you need to know (apologies if you do already) is that you mustn’t move or in any way edit or modify anything in the Music folders. You can copy stuff to the Downloads folder, but you must use a Naim editor to edit the Music folder or you risk breaking the indexing. Note that everything in the Music folder is protected, which will be why you can’t delete anything.

You can do what you like in the Downloads folder and you can’t edit that with a Naim editor.

Best

David

1 Like

It’s all in there, more or less, but some of it’s not that easy to absorb!

lol. Old age affecting me at last.

I have found one downside. BBC radio only comes through at 128/44.1 upsampled on my dac. The sqbox runs it at a higher qual and 48 direct through the dac.

Yes, the iRadio is more limited on the Unitiserve, there are much better radio streams on the Naim streamers. (Still better than the Core, though!)

Another question.

How important is the do not turn off warning? I live in a place with frequent power cuts. Do I need a UPS for the US?

The US is a Windows XP computer with the operating system stored on the hard disc. If you turn off the US without following the correct procedure, depending whether the US was writing anything at the time, you will get errors. One day the accumulation of errors may prevent it starting up and the only fix is to send it back to Salisbury for the disc to be cleaned up. This cannot be done except at the factory (I don’t think any of the service centres outside the UK can do it but I can’t be certain of that).

Best

David

Thanks David, a simple 15 min ups may be a help then, as long as it doesn’t cut overnight. I’ll just have to remember to power down before bed.

I generally leave my Unitiserve turned on unless we’re going away for more than a couple of days, and it’s still going strong after 7 years. (Actually, that’s not quite true - my first one was destroyed by a lightning strike which fried it via the Ethernet cable, but I can’t really blame the US for that!) Still, it has survived the occasional power cut unscathed.
When ripping, you should bear in mind that the US can remain active for a little while after the rip is complete. If you save the rips in FLAC rather than WAV (which I would recommend) it will remain active for a little longer while it does the conversion. If you rip a number of CDs in succession, this can turn into quite a long queue as the conversion process churns away, one track at a time. So I like to make sure it remains powered up until I’m certain this process is complete.

2 Likes

SO impressed I might get another BUT

Can I sync two US’s to each other so I can wander from room to room without getting a time shift?

No, but you can sync two streamers together so that they play in time, and they will work from a single Unitiserve used as a UPnP server.

1 Like

As Chris says, you only need one US, but multiroom is easy.

Best

David

1 Like

It’s worth mentioning that in multiroom mode, the client streamers only get an MP3 stream, fine for background listening or parties, but perhaps not always what’s wanted. At least that was the case with the old models. I can’t remember the details, but I think it might be different with the current range.

I think it might well be different, even with old Naim streamers, as long as you use ethernet.

Best

David

Ah that would be a problem. I’d need wifi hi res. The US is Ethernet to a mesh AP that then connects via wi fi to the network. Any streamer would either be wifi on board, or mesh AP again.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.