Naim + DeVore?

Pace, rhythm and timing. An aspect of sound quality that Naim components are typically praised for being particularly good at.

.sjb

3 Likes

Nait XS and Flatcap XS with the Gibbon X (@CES 2013)

Given the highly sensitive nature of Devore speakers, the Naim Nait XS was a surprising amp choice, but it worked remarkably well, timing being spot on and tone in almost the same league. We expected the former, but Naim is not renowned for its tonal depth, so the latter was quite a surprise. With ZZ Top’s Tres Hombres on the turntable, this system was cooking – close to if not the best we heard on the first day of the show.

2 Likes

John DeVore uses a small Naim system at home to power his speakers.

Haven’t seen that. Which boxes?

Are u sure Chris? As far as I know he used an xs only in a show. He is really connected with the line magnetic us distributor

Devore with Naim XS at CES 2013.

1 Like

I’ve seen photos of his home system, very simple setup with 5 series electronics. His office (Monkey House) is where his reference gear resides (which makes sense).

Of course this could all have changed since I saw the photo. But John has been very Naim friendly and his speakers mate well the electronics.

The Xs look like this now.

The impedance and phase plots look very amp friendly staying above 6Ω and less than 40 degrees. So even an Atom won’t struggle.

2 Likes

Beautiful speakers :pray:

1 Like

I misread the title of this thread.

I thought that it read:

Naim = Divorce

That may be true occasionally.

2 Likes

Yes! I wanted some Xs but no one imports them into the UK. Absolute Sounds are the distributor now and they only import selected DeVore models, not including any of the Gibbon series unfortunately. I’d imagine Atom power wouldn’t be a problem, but really they deserve a great source and preamp. I think they’re around £16,000. Probably more now.

The exchange rate wasn’t favourable last time I looked for buying from the US.
You could keep an eye on the used market. There was a pair up for sale in Edinburgh a year ago for considerably less than that, the posting’s still there but I suspect the speakers aren’t. It’s a long game for used or personal import at a price by the look of it.

1 Like

Thanks @Yeti
I had the Nines and certainly wasn’t prepared to lay out on the Xs without hearing them, so that just made things more difficult. Now I’m happy with my active ATCs.

I see that there’s now a dealer in Biggleswade Bedfordshire that can offer the whole DeVore range. They are also Naim dealers. If this had been the case a year ago, I’d have certainly given a Naim DeVore combination a very good listen.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.