Naim DIN4-XLR lead query

Since reconnecting stuff a few weeks ago my system hasn’t sounded quite right, admittedly I had some things serviced and now have the NAC 282 powered by 2 olive HI-CAPS not 1.

I was thinking of swapping out the NAP 250 for a different one and noticed when I touched the DIN4-XLR that I was getting noise through the speakers implying a loose connection perhaps at the XLR end.

There is a screw on the XLR end and all feels a bit wobbly, as in I can see the connectors inside move when I wiggle the cable. Is this normal/by design or should the screw be tight? Also the black outer cable cover does not extend into the connector fully so I can see the individual wires from the outside - again normal or not (coming loose).

Should I unscrew the scfrew and remove to inspect or just pop it up to a dealer or get a new one?

I actually have another where the outer cover goes into the connector and I can’t see individual wires - will check how that sounds (doesn’t immediately make any noise through speakers if I wiggle the XLR end of the cable). I’m not sure they sound much different though!

Sounds like you might have a loose connection
Also your lead sounds like it’s a bit old and ropey
Could be a good time to upgrade the cable
There’s not a lot of point opening it unless you’ve got a soldering iron to hand
If you’re thinking about getting it repaired then you may as well get a better cable
Don’t twiddle the damn thing, if you cause a short your amp will need new output transistors and the cost of a cable will disappear into insignificance

Lyndon

1 Like

Yes, I agree probably a loose connection. If I could find my soldering iron I’d open it up, probably simpler to ask local dealer to take a peek.

I wonder how much a new basic Naim cable would cost, and which others to consider…

The twiddling wasn’t intentional to be honest my hand brushed the cable as I tried to check it was connected securely - as often in the past one sometimes needs to be a bit of a contortionist reaching behind hi-fi kit to change/check connections :flushed: Not so easy as you get older!

If you are looking at a basic Naim cable then you might like to also consider the basic Witch Hat DIN4 to XLR.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.