Naim earthing update please clarify

Well that would make sense as the outer of the DIN plug will be bolted to the chassis which will be connected to the mains earth. What were interested in is whether there is a connection between this and the signal ground.

One thing that is slightly confusing after a quick google is that some Naim CD players (depending on vintage) have a direct connection between mains earth and signal ground and some do it via a low value resistor. I wonder if @NeilS could shed some light on this as he’s probably seen a few CDXs coming in for servicing ?

Mine has a small resistor. I took a photo on my iphone yesterday while I was investigating and I think I can make out its value a bit later as SWMBO is calling me to carve

You see I do have a life even if I’m OCD regarding my sounds

eddie

1 Like

That sounds fine.

Ah ok - ok that makes more sense. I found an old post of mine from 2008 asking about whether there was a direct link between signal ground and mains earth and got a few different answers so i’m still curious as to how this differs on different models of CD players.

It is true that some Naim players have a direct connection between chassis & signal earth, the CDX from memory has a 22R in-line.
You could try fitting the CDX link plug & connect it up stand alone, that might highlight an issue with the XPS Burndy?

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Super - thanks Neil.

Here’s the photo of the resistor and earth signal link

I make it red violet black silver?

eddie

1 Like

My mistake - it’s a 27R.

Neil.

Neil, curious, why was that done? Was it to mitigate/ increase the loss in any l Earth loop when connected to directly earth grounded equipment as well as attempting to act as a reference when required?

1 Like

So that makes Eddies 27R measurement between mains earth and 252 ground post correct so all looks to be connected ok. I take it that the resistor wasn’t part of the original design given the way its mounted ?

The CDX was back in Salisbury for a service and new CD drive some time ago It may well have been added at that time
So basically my direct 252 earth connection is better than Naims recommended grounding method
So there’s a lesson to be learnt there somewhere

Thanks for all your help guys I’m now just enjoying the music

eddie

1 Like

You’ve got me there Simon, I’m not sure why. More curious is that the value differs too - CDS2 = 22R, HDX = 47R.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

I have no idea why the resistor was installed like that in the CDX, in the CDS2 the resistor is installed on the back of the DIN socket terminated to the centre pin, much neater.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Thanks Neil - another Naim oddity.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.